Friday, February 17, 2012

Interview with Laura Bradley Rede


When I was given the privilege to read Darkride by Laura Bradley Rede, I was so ecstatic. I can't tell you how much fun I had with reading Darkride. And now let's hear a few things about Darkride from Laura herself.

________________________________________________________________________________

Blair Book Project (BBP): Describe Darkride in 3 words.

Laura Bradley Rede (LBR): Romantic, Suspenseful, Paranormal

BBP: What was the inspiration behind Darkride?

LBR: My partner Marcy and I like to entertain each other by making up stories. Nightlife, the seedy vampire blood bar “where the waitresses are the drinks,” was the setting for a bunch of those stories and I started writing Darkride because I wanted to explore that underworld. The story just grew from there!

BBP: How much research did you go into regarding the lore presented in Darkride?

LBR: I think if you’re going to write about werewolves and vampires, it’s good to know what has come before you so you know what you have to play with. I’ve read a lot about vampires and shape-shifters, both folk lore and modern novels, but it never feels like “research” because I love it so much!

BBP: How did you form the characters and their personalities?

LBR: I got to know the characters gradually, the way you get to know a friend, by writing background scenes and brainstorming in my journal about how they felt and what they wanted.  Cicely is probably the most like me, although she’s much more practical than I will ever be. Ander was partly inspired by my five younger brothers and their friends because I wanted him to feel like a real guy. Luke started out as more of a fantasy of a guy, very elegant and sophisticated, and then became more real and flawed as I got to know him.

BBP: If you were Cicely, whom would you choose? Ander or Luke?

LBR: That’s hard, because I love them both! If it were me, I would probably fall for Luke because I am a sucker for old-school romance and I don’t mind a little danger - but Cicely and I are very different in some ways, and she and Ander have a complicated history together. I have strong ideas of where that love triangle is going, but even I wouldn’t say that anything is written in stone!

BBP: As one of the most impatient readers around I have to ask, when will the second book, Crossfire, be released and how are you faring with it now? 

LBR: I’m so excited with the direction Crossfire is taking! I’m only in the middle of the first draft now, so I don’t have a release date yet, but ideally I hope to have it out sometime towards the end of 2012. Curious readers are welcome to like Darkride on facebook or visit the Darkride site at www.darkridethenovel.com, where I post regular updates. I’m glad you’re looking forward to it!

BBP: What will we be expecting with Crossfire?

LBR: Crossfire picks up where Darkride left off. Both the conflict and the romance intensify as Cicely is forced to choose between two sides of a paranormal war – and between two boys she loves. She has some competition in the romance department, too, from unexpected places! We’ll learn more about the witches and secrets will come to light from both Luke and Ander’s past. Emmie and Five both play a much bigger role in this book, so expect to hear more from them, too!  
________________________________________________________________________________


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the excellent questions! It was a pleasure to chat with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you as well Laura! I really had fun reading Darkride. Can't wait for Crossfire! ^_^

      Delete
  2. OMG Crossfire sounds so exciting. I can't wait for it. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! I know right? Everytime I think of it I go giddy with excitement! LOL.

      Delete

I really appreciate your thoughts and I hope you take the time to drop me a line. Thanks! ^_^