Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ang Mga Kaibigan ni Mama Susan by Bob Ong

        
Ang Mga Kaibigan 
ni Mama Susan
by Bob Ong
English Translation: The Friends of Mama Susan

Rating:

I was skimming through the bookshelves at National Bookstore when I saw this book upfront near the cashier. When I saw Bob Ong's name, I just immediately grabbed a copy and went straight to pay for it. So when I started out reading the book, I had no idea what it was about. Also, I've already stopped trying to figure out what Bob Ong's books were really about not until I've read it up to the last page.

I didn't compare it with his other books because, let's face it, he's one of the most unpredictable writers in our country. One book cannot be compared with the other since they are all stand-alone. But then again, that's how it is for now. I can't say if he might think of creating a sequel... (Will he???)

Anyway, as I was reading the first few parts, I was confused... actually... up until finishing it I'm still confused. There are a lot of things left unanswered, like who's the girl Galo is talking about, what happened to Niko? What exactly had Galo been hiding? etcetera, etcetera. But I can see the point in some of that, the book was written in a first person view. Galo's journal could be compared to anyone else's in real life. We don't tell/write down everything that happens in our lives, especially the ones we want to forget or the ones we regret. 

Halfway through the book, it started to creep me out (I don't know if it's because of the book or because I get easily scared... I'll probably go with the latter.. ^^). A few pages left I was beginning to close and open the book. I was debating between stopping to take a breath or the urge of finding out what would happen next this instant! I shut the book hard when Bob suddenly scared the reader of being the spirit's next choice to possess. 

Although it scared me a bit, I don't think it was written simply intending to scare the reader. On my opinion, it was written to open the eyes of those who have lost their faith or have forgotten the power of God's love, or have taken Him for granted. As scary as Mama Susan can be, her words are strong. They were open and true. They reflect how our lives evolve through the passing generations involving technology, personality, choices, and spirituality. If you want to understand what I mean, then read the book. It's affordable and worth reading.