Thursday, August 4, 2011

Entice by Carrie Jones

        
Entice
(The Need Series #3)
by Carrie Jones
Summary from Goodreads:

"Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever. But that’s not how things have worked out. For starters, well, Nick is gone. He’s been taken to some mythic place for warriors called Valhalla, where Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. It’s just not going to be easy.

Meanwhile, Bedford needs its warriors more than ever, since a group of evil pixies is devastating the place, with teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent. But even if Zara and her friends can find the way to Valhalla, there’s that other small problem: Zara’s been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to leave with her? Especially considering she hasn’t turned into just any pixie . . . She’s Astley’s queen."

Rating:


What happened?! 

I was so engrossed with the first two books of this series but now I’m disappointed. The second book of the Need series, Captivate, was very exciting and the ending opened to such new adventure but Entice just came out sloppy. 

I admire Jones for all the things she put into this book but I guess there were just too many elements going on that they just don’t seem to be cohesive. First there’s the main agenda, finding Nick; then the treachery and backstabbing among Astley and Zara’s subjects; then there’s Valhalla; then comes the Gods of Valhalla… 

Those all sounded really good. But unfortunately, it’s not enough. (If you haven’t read this book, please stop reading this review at this point.) So Jones adds up other rudiments that just makes the story confusing: there are unfinished conversations between that characters that don’t seem to get solved or continued; there are conversations and actions that sprout up that I don’t even get the essence of it; and then I see a rainbow bridge where (I’m not sure if I got this right) you’re apparently not supposed to step on the red color because it’s fire?! What?! I also see great characters die, one goes rogue and doesn’t want to come home because of all the pain; and to top it all off, when Zara reached Valhalla I find Odin a softy??? When did I warrior god suddenly grow all mushy? I get the kind-hearted god the author wants him to portray, but he didn’t even scream “god” with just a simple aura description or something. 

Another thing that bothered me was Zara. What happened to you, girl? Seriously! You’re so selfish. 

I understand that she wanted to get Nick back so badly and I’m happy she did. But how many people had to die just for her to accomplish this? Were the deaths really necessary when we already know there’s a war coming up where eventually there will be more deaths? 

One of the things I liked about this book was Astley. He was really dedicated to accomplish what he needs to. I pity him because he’s obviously falling for Zara and she’s still in love with Nick. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still team Nick but Astley grew on me and I’m beginning to like his character. 

Anyway, with all things said, I’m a curious being so I will still read the next book. In spite of my discontent with Entice, I still want to know how this series would end. Also, find out who Zara ends up with. Hopefully, the next book would be better than this.