Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm edited by Ellen Daltow & Terri Windling

        
The Faery Reel: Tales from 
the Twilight Realm
edited by Ellen Daltow 

& Terri Windling
Summary from Goodreads:

"Faeries, or creatures like them, can be found in almost every culture the world over—benevolent and terrifying, charming and exasperating, shifting shape from country to country, story to story, and moment to moment. In The Faery Reel, acclaimed anthologists Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling have asked some of today’s finest writers of fantastic fiction for short stories and poems that draw on the great wealth of world faery lore and classic faery literature. This companion to the World Fantasy Award–winner and Locus bestseller The Green Man is edgy, provocative, and thoroughly magical. Like the faeries themselves."

Contributing Authors: Holly Black, Ellen Steiber, Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Patricia A. McKillip, Gregory Maguire, Hiromi Goto, A.M. Dellamonica, Neil Gaiman, Bill Congreve, Charles Vess, Jeffrey Ford, Emma Bull, Nan Fry, Charles de Lint, Delia Sherman, Tanith Lee, Gregory Frost, Kelly LinkTerri Windling, Steve Berman, Bruce Glassco, Katherine Vass

Rating:

I’ve always been in love with fairytales so I just had to have this book. I practically heard it calling me from the bookshelf of one of my favorite bookstores. LOL.
I loved the variety of faerie culture that this book has offered and I enjoyed reading different tales about the Fair Folk. 

I can’t say that I specifically had a favorite but there were stories that stood out to me more than the others, like Undine by Patricia McKillip and the Night Market by Holly Black. The latter was very significant to me because it had bits and pieces of our Filipino mythical creatures, the Enkanto to be specific. 

Anyway, I really like this anthology and I’m very much pleased to have this on my bookshelf.