Thursday, August 4, 2011

No Strings Attached by Mina V. Esguerra

        
No Strings Attached
by Mina V. Esguerra
Summary from Goodreads:

"Carla is a whiz at her job: she’s efficient, reliable, and a total genius when it comes to putting something together at the last minute. The snag is she’s single and turning the big three-oh in a few months. Her girl best friend (yes, she’s married just like the other girls in Carla’s barkada) keeps trying to set her up with stable banker-types, while her guy best friend (single – the other single one) encourages her to play the field – no strings attached. Then, through no set up or extraordinary circumstance, Carla meets Dante. Hot, smug, sexy Dante. Definitely not a banker-type and seemingly too good to be true. So there’s got to be a catch. There is. He’s five years younger. Is the universe telling Carla to finally let loose and enjoy a fling with a younger man? Or is there a lot more to this awkward situation that she bargained for?"

Rating:

Nothing like a quick, sweet, light-read tale to give me the sense of relaxation on a rainy day! 

I will be honest that I personally could not relate with the characters in this book, but it wasn’t an issue with regards to understanding Carla’s life. I was skeptical about her reaction towards turning thirty and yet not on the verge of settling down. It seemed a bit too fictitious to me. Although it was defined that she may’ve been just a late bloomer, yet again I find it kind of hard to picture. Or maybe it’s just me. 

Anyway, moving onto the story, I found myself laughing and giggling several times in between chapters. I like how Carla and Dante’s non-exclusive relationship progressed into something more fruitful than they expected. I also like the idea of the “opposites attract” image that was going on between them. That I can definitely relate to!

I really enjoyed this book. Some people may find that the premise was somewhat cliché-ish, I did to, but the scenes in No Strings Attached took a simple story to a very entertaining and memorable tale.