Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tithe by Holly Black

        
Tithe
(The Modern Faerie Tales #1)
by Holly Black



Summary from Goodreads:

"Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces the sixteen-year-old back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms -- a struggle that could very well mean her death."

Rating:

I wouldn’t recommend this book to myself if I was still a teenager. The characters in the book wouldn’t be good influences to those at the same age; they smoked, drank liquor, cursed, and other unscrupulous behavior. I also don’t think it was appropriate to have a mom who lets her kid do whatever the hell she wants; major parental irresponsibility!

But reading it from an adult’s point of view, this book wasn’t so bad. It was mostly a love story. Although, I didn’t feel much connection between Kaye and Roiben; their relationship wasn’t clearly describe on why and how they seemed to connect. They didn’t show much of longing and being deeply drawn to each other. I guess it somehow lacked building up the momentum of their relationship. There wasn’t something solid that proved any unfathomable love between them. I did love the humor they churn at each other, though. 

Aside from that, since this was focused on romance, there wasn’t much adventure. It was straight-forward mystery-solving, riddle-answering, faerie-politics-and-war type of tale. Modern as it is said, since it’s established in a sort of dark urban environment.

I am still a bit undecided with my rating, I liked it, but it was somehow ok. But then I think about when this was published, which was originally during 2002; where I think not much tales like Holly Black’s were written. If I had read this as early as it was published I would have given this a perfect 5! But since I have read other much enthralling books that have been published lately, I’ll settle with liking it.

I do admire Holly Black for being brave enough to write a book this dark that I know she’d probably already expected the cynicism that parents would feel with the edginess of the tale that might appear excessively sinister for teens.