Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore


        
The Power of Six
(Lorien Legacies #2)
by Pittacus Lore
Summary from Goodreads:

"I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.
 


Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together? 

They caught Number One in Malaysia. 
Number Two in England. 
And Number Three in Kenya. 
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed. 
I am Number Seven. One of six still alive. 
And I'm ready to fight."

Rating:

Okay, so I didn’t particularly love the first book of this series, I Am Number Four. However, I still kept my hopes up because I felt like this story had so much potential.

So what can I say about the Power of Six?

Well, let me start off by telling you my assumptions over this book. When I first read the title, and before I read the excerpt, I had two theories. One, “Power of Six” meant that this book would probably focus on Six and show how strong she could be, hence the word in the title: “Power” of well… Six. My second theory was that since there were supposedly nine of them from Lorien and three were dead, it meant that the remaining six would unite and fight an epic battle against the Mogadorians. Now that got me excited!

I got pissed finding out that I was wrong on both accounts; because this is not a story about Six, although readers would get to know more about her and her past. She’s also still where we left her off from the first book but the Power of Six was not focused on her.

So that left me with my other theory. Another FAIL! Of course Four/John, Sam and Six were on the verge of finding the others but – and I’m sorry for this spoiler – by the end of the book they were not yet complete.

I think the title’s kind of misleading for me.

Anyway, so this book had alternating perspectives: John/Four and Seven/Marina. I wasn’t surprised that I’d read through Four’s eyes because I already expected that, but Seven? I didn’t see that coming.

Now regarding the perspectives: the book started off with Marina narrating how she and her Cepan lived their lives ever since they landed on earth. Everything was going on smoothly when suddenly, I reached a chapter where I felt like I was reading about Four’s life. So I read on and confirmed that I WAS on Four’s perspective. I didn’t notice the shifting because I wasn’t paying attention to the font face of the texts. So when I checked a few pages back, that’s when I knew how to identify whose perspective I was reading from. Stupid me! O well, no biggie.

Moving on… the pace of the story was similar to I Am Number Four; slow within the beginning and several other chapters then a booming, action-packed ending. The slow chapters became bearable for me since there are fighting scenes squeezed in within them and also Seven’s life was something new to look forward to even though I didn’t expect her. And then there was this little kick of surprise about Four’s vision, during the first book, of another ship leaving Lorien when they escaped to Earth. Wow! Another thing I didn’t see coming.

I have to say, despite feeling that the title was deceiving, I really enjoyed this book. I was glad I remained optimistic towards this series; it feels like there are a lot more installed for readers on the third book, another thing I did not expect since I felt that this was supposed to be the final installment. Whatever the title may be, I am looking forward to it.