Friday, October 28, 2011

Devoted by Hilary Duff

        
Devoted (Elixir #2)
by Hilary Duff

Summary from Goodreads:

"Since Sage was kidnapped, Clea has no way of knowing if he is alive or dead. And even though she has only just discovered they were soulmates, she feels like a part of her is lost forever. What’s worse, she can’t even turn to her best friend Ben—because every time she looks at him, all she sees is his betrayal.

But waiting for something to happen is not an option, so Clea is ready for action. Suffering through dreams of seeing Sage with another woman, she makes an uneasy alliance with Sage’s enemies and sets out to be reunited with Sage...in this life or the next."

Rating:


I’m a little overwhelmed with Devoted. It was a good and all, definitely a step up from Elixir, the first book. But I guess the vastness on how this series has progressed into was not something I was prepared for. What started out as a simple love story morphed into a world where the story of the Elixir of Life has more to it than it seems and the tragic love story between Clea and Sage is just one of the few misgivings when the Elixir is involved.

Devoted introduces readers to whole new set of characters that will either disgust you, awe you or make you sympathize with. There are so many things the Elixir could do that the characters are unaware of until disaster strikes.

I’m kind of a little disappointed with Clea and Sage’s actions. Even with the whole narrative and history about them being soulmates and how strong and rare this bond is, what they did spoke louder than what history projected, and trust me their actions did not speak “we’re soul mates.”

I admire Hilary for creating this book; even though she had help, the storyline is still commendable. Although I’d have to say that the stretch Devoted has introduced me to made me feel that I didn’t love this book but I didn’t hate it either. It may have been a bit too much for me to take in but I definitely enjoyed reading this.

The ending has unwrapped this series to endless possibilities and it is what I may call an "open" ending. I don't even know if that makes sense but I’m certainly looking forward to the third installment.