Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Legend by Marie Lu

        
Legend (Legend #1)
by Marie Lu
Summary from Goodreads:

"What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills."

Rating:

I came across Legend in one of my favorite bookstores to visit. The copy was sitting on the shelf all by itself and since I’ve had this book plotted on my TBR far long before its release, I grabbed it off the shelf before anyone else did. Mine! Also, one of the staffs there that I befriended, informed me that their copies of Legend just came the morning before the day I was there. Lucky me to get the last of the new release batch! Yeah!!!

Okay, way off topic. So yes, review.


I LOVE IT!


That’s all for my review…


Kidding! Alright I’m going to stop fooling around now. Sorry. LOL.

I really do love this book. Legend is one of the reasons why I’m growing to love dystopian novels more and more.

A part of the summary written on the hardcover sleeve says, “Full of nonstop action, suspense and romance…” It truly lives up to the description, maybe even surpasses it.

I’ve encountered alternating point-of-views before but never have I truly loved and looked forward to each of the shifts as much as I have with Legend. Both Day and June’s perspectives were interesting and very entertaining. They’re both broken but strong-willed, characters any person can easily relate to and empathize with. I also like that the story did not revolve around love interests but gave just enough affection and emotion to satisfy a romance-junkie’s desire.

The plot and pacing was truly astonishing, no boring parts and the sequence of events was equally delivered in an entertaining and smooth flow.

When the truth was uncovered, I knew there was something manipulating about the government but I was caught off guard with some of the revelations. The unexpectedness just made me devour this book.

Of course, seems like a book is not part a series if it ends without a cliffhanger so Legend is not short of that.  I also feel that there’s a lot more that I don’t know about the government and details that will seem to be exposed over the next books of this series so I am totally looking forward to them!