Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Best of Chico and Delamar's The Morning Rush Top 10 by Chico Garcia and Delamar Arias [REVIEW]

      
The Best of Chico and Delamar's
The Morning Rush Top 10

Summary from Goodreads:

"Aside from celebrating 15 years on the airwaves this year, the Morning Rush with Chico & Delamar on Monster Radio RX 93.1 also marks another milestone this December: the launch of The Best of Chico & Delamar’s The Morning Rush Top 10. Released by Summit Books, the book compiles over 100 of their craziest, naughtiest, and most laugh-out-loud Top 10 lists.

The Best of Chico & Delamar’s The Morning Rush Top 10 is guaranteed to keep a smile on your face all day with page after page of quotable quotes, pick-up lines, statements, and more. The Morning Rush with Chico & Delamar has been airing on RX 93.1 since 1996 and has already been awarded as Best Comedy Program in the 19th KBP Golden Dove Awards.

-The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online (mb.com.ph)"

Rating:
 

I am what they call a “silent rusher” of the radio show, the Morning Rush at Monster Radio RX 93.1. It means, that I constantly tune in to the show but do not participate in sending greets, entries, tweets, etc. The highlight of this show is the Top Ten topics they have every morning from Mondays to Fridays.

I love the show because the topics are relatable and the hosts, Chico Garcia and Delamar Arias (now also joined by Gino Quillamor), never fail to make me laugh. I’ve been listening to this show for almost seven years now, although I have missed several of the episodes (is that the right term?) I still got the chance to catch up, (thank goodness for podcasts!) and I never get tired of it. That being said, obviously, I am a big fan, so it was really nice to hear that they were releasing a book. I really appreciate that I get to have something tangible from the show.

I read The Best of Chico and Delamar’s The Morning Rush Top 10 in a few hours; I can hardly put it down! Plus it’s only 200-pages or so that you’ll barely notice you’ve finished off several pages already. It really made me laugh and some entries were familiar too. It even feels like the hosts were there, reading out the Top Ten entries for the listeners like the way they do on the radio. Although there were times that I feel like some of the entries were ones that I’ve already heard before, it’s not such a big deal; that I guess is the power of “word of mouth”.

I can say that the price of the book was very affordable, considering how well the book was made: very nice paper quality, a simple but “kengkoy” art cover and really good entries. But I do have to ask, is it really the BEST of the top ten topics? Don’t get me wrong, I really like this book, but being an avid listener of the show, I feel like there are other topics that would have been considered more of a stand-out subject matter than some of the ones included in the book.

I don’t know the basis of how they picked which topics were to make it to the book but there were some that I wouldn’t consider as part of the “best” ones. Of course, that is only of my personal preference but over all I would recommend this book. Even if you aren’t a listener of the show, you can still be able to understand the book and find it entertaining.