Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Frost by Jennifer Estep

   
First Frost
(Mythos Academy #0.5)
by Jennifer Estep


Summary from Goodreads:
 
"I am Gwen Frost, and I have a Gypsy gift. It’s called psychometry – that's a fancy way of saying that I see images in my head and get flashes of other people’s memories off almost everything I touch, even guys.

My gift makes me kind of nosy. Okay, okay, maybe a lot nosy--to the point of obsession sometimes. I want to know everything about everyone around me. But even I don't want to know the secrets my friend Paige is hiding or the terrible loss that will send me to a new school – Mythos Academy, where the teachers aren't preparing us for the SATs, but to battle Reapers of Chaos. Now I have no friends and no idea how my gift fits in with all these warrior whiz kids. The only thing I do know is that my life is never, ever going to be the same. . ."


Rating:

A short, quick read that left me wanting more.

First Frost reminded me of a lot of books and movies I've read and watched. There's the X-men, Harry Potter, The Candidates to name a few.

At first I thought is was kind of unoriginal but then I think, how else would this establish into? There's no helping the comparison but I will reserve my judgement 'til I get to read the other books of this series.

Nonetheless, I think First Frost was an entertaining book. It is short, but has provided me with a good glimpse of what I'll be seeing with Touch of Frost.