Monday, January 2, 2012

One Good Knight by Mercedes Lackey

        
One Good Knight
(Five Hundred Kingdoms #2)
by Mercedes Lackey
Summary from Goodreads:

"When a dragon storms the castle, what should a (virgin) princess do?

Why, turn to her studies, of course! But nothing practical-minded Princess Andromeda of Acadia finds gives a definitive solution. The only Traditional answer, though, is soothing the marauding dragon by a virgin sacrifice. Things are going fairly smoothly with the lottery -- except for the women chosen, of course -- until Princess Andromeda herself is picked!

But facing down the dragon doesn't go quite as planned, and now, with the help of her Champion, Sir George, Andromeda searches for the dragon's lair. But even -- especially -- in the Five Hundred Kingdoms, bucking Tradition isn't easy. It takes the strongest of wills, knowledge, quick wits and a refusal to give up, no matter what happens along the way . . ."


Rating:

I've seen a number of reviewers not pleased with One Good Knight. When I read it myself, I had mixed feelings about it. My mind has been switching from liking to not then liking it again, and then not...again. By the ending I was really confused.

I enjoyed reading the book, don't get me wrong. I was really pleased to see this take lesser pages than Lackey's other books that tended to be so descriptive. I also found the characters very likeable and the twist with regards to the champion was really sneaky! And I absolutely did not expect it.

What bothered me was that I didn't get to know the villains that much. There was a constant mystery about their agenda with each scene that they appear at but there wasn't much of a revelation in the end.

Also, as much as I liked the "happily ever after" thing with Lackey's stories. I think this was a bit too much of a cliche. I get that this is a fairy tale after all and I'm happy for the characters but there wasn't much to it to commend about.

Overall I think it was okay, plus points on being more fast paced than the other books... and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.