Monday, February 27, 2012

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally [REVIEW]

       
Catching Jordan
by Miranda Kenneally




Summary from Goodreads:

"What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate."

Rating:


Catching Jordan was like one of those sentimental chick flicks you’d love to watch at night after a long day. It gives you comfort. And it’s such a sweet story… maybe a little too sweet at times, but isn’t a hindrance to be feeling all gushy over the scenes.

I’m not much of sports fan so I didn’t fully appreciate Catching Jordan. I had a bit of a hard time getting out of my shell and believing the fact that Jordan, a girl, is the quarterback of a football team full of boys, but once I got deeper into the story, the idea kind of grew on me. It really did take me longer to shake off the idea that she leads an entire football team. I mean I can picture a girl being on a football team but not the skinny types that Jordan was described. I may not be into athletics but I know the type of players that get to take part in this sport; big, sturdy and lean-muscled men because let’s face it, this game is not an easy one. Once I was able to push that aside, I began to see Jordan as an ordinary girl with extraordinary dreams… now that I can definitely understand and appreciate.

I may’ve not been able to relate with Jordan’s athleticism, but I can relate with a lot of other things that Jordan feels. Every one of us has gone through puberty and we all know there were those moments where you wish you knew what was going on. So Jordan, I feel your pain.

I’m a bit torn over the other characters in this book. For one, the guys on the team sometimes feel like “girl friends” than men on a football team, but I guess men do have their sensitive sides too. I just feel like they were too femininely crafted. I do love that they care and respect Jordan though. I like how they look out for her and listen to her in spite of the fact that Jordan is literally living in a man’s world.

For Jordan’s love interests… hmm… I’m still processing how I feel about them. Sam Henry is a pretty cool friend, but a total a** when it comes to the part where he’s in love with Jordan. But I get why he did it, still I don’t think it makes the way he treated Jordan about it right. Ty was a little underdeveloped. Yes, his personality was fully described but never saw much of it. The “over-controlling” persona of him wasn’t entirely shown in a strong sense, more like simply suggestive of the attitude.

Catching Jordan is a nice book to read; it made me laugh and cry a little in the gushy-girly kind of way; and yet it did not fully satisfy me. I guess this is one of those books that I felt to be really good to read but just didn’t work for me. I would still recommend this book for those who feel like finding a quick, light and easy story to read.