Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Assassin and the Desert by Sarah J. Maas [REVIEW]

        
The Assassin and the Desert
(Throne of Glass #0.2)
by Sarah J. Maas


Summary from Goodreads:


"The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the desert alive.


Rating:



I am really awed by Sarah Maas’s ability to write a short story that has almost everything I want in a book. You know, the usual unique adventure, discovery, action and all that; it’s a little short on the love story, but I totally feel the little sparks of romance that makes me want more.

In the Assassin and the Desert, the 2nd novella from the Throne of Glass series, Celaena travels to the Red Desert where she must earn the honor of being trained by Master of the Silent Assassins. This was her punishment for disobeying her master back during Assassin and the Pirate Lord.

I love the development that happened to Celaena’s character during her stay with the Silent Assassins. I love her realization of what she lacked and what she gladly learned as her days with these people progressed. It’s amazing how despite Celaena being somewhat arrogant and vain, there’s a soft side to her that makes me admire her and take her for who she is, definitely the best example that there’s good and bad in everyone.

Maas really knows her world-building skills. I’m starting to feel like I’m travelling around different places filled with rich and interesting cultures with every book. I also admire the fact that she can link this book to the first one, giving a glimpse of what led Celaena here, and yet doesn’t spoil the experience you had [if you’ve read it] or will have[if you haven’t read it] on reading Assassin and the Pirate Lord.  

I can’t imagine the surprise I’ll be seeing once Throne of Glass is finally released!

Oh! By the way, that revelation of the traitor among the Silent Assassins... WOW! I did not see that coming.