Monday, May 28, 2012

The Assassin and the Underworld by Sarah J. Maas [REVIEW]

         
The Assassin and the Underworld
(Throne of Glass #0.3)
by Sarah J. Maas


Summary from Goodreads:


"When the King of the Assassins gives Celaena Sardothien a special assignment that will help fight slavery in the kingdom, she jumps at the chance to strike a blow against an evil practice. The misson is a dark and deadly affair which takes Celaena from the rooftops of the city to the bottom of the sewer—and she doesn’t like what she finds there."


Rating:




Ooooh! This just keeps getting better and better!

The first two novellas of the Throne of Glass was indeed amazing adventures. Now with the Assassin and the Underworld, that idea kind of changes a bit. Of course they’re all still connected but this time Celaena’s mission is not a travel away from home but within Rifthold where she grew up and became the deadliest assassin.

Celaena has just returned from her trip to the Red Desert where she trained along with Silent Assassins. She was about to do an “in your face” moment to her master after serving her punishment with grace and dignity, but then she falters. Seeing her master apologize and be all sweet and caring, she goes soft. Ugh! This is one of those moments that I hated Celaena, she can be gullible at times. Then again I guess having that man to be the only father figure she had (at least that’s what I think of him to her, ‘coz if it was something else that would be really awkward, the guy’s way, way older than her, c’mon!) I couldn’t blame her for giving him a chance to make up for what he did to her.

The Assassin and the Underworld is a milder on the action part compared to the other two but doubles on the deception and betrayal experience so you won’t see me complain. Add the fact that the romance brewing between Celaena and Sam has finally come about. Yehey! I totally approve their relationship.

This may be a slower story than the first two novellas but I could say this is my favorite among them. Let’s see if that’ll change when the fourth novella comes out.

I’m still playing with the title of this book in my head; why is it called the Assassin and the Underworld? I mean I get the Assassin and the Pirate Lord and the Assassin and the Desert, they both speak for themselves but Underworld? I expected it to be the mythological thing we commonly know and not the… sewer?

O well, at least we had a good story out of it. And the scene where Sam desperately wanted to save Celaena when she got locked there… Priceless!