Friday, July 13, 2012

Retro Demonology by Jana Oliver [SHORT REVIEW]

        
Retro Demonology
(The Demon Trappers #0.5)
by Jana Oliver
 Summary from Goodreads:

"A Demon Trapper’s bonus story.

Before Riley Blackthorne can take on Grade Five demons, she has to trap her very first. Her debut solo trapping experience should be a breeze, just a harmless Grade One after all. But throw in some dippy hippies (whose peace signs and Patchouli really aren’t driving any demons away), one mischievous demon, and a run-in with the police, and Riley might not be able to pull it off..."

Rating:

Retro Demonology is a bonus short story from the Demon Trappers series. I thought I’d try this first before starting on the series, just so I can get an idea about what this series is about.

This story was about Riley’s first ever solo assignment. She usually goes off with her father but now she must prove that she can handle trapping a demon on her own.


I got to grasp the concept of her job and what she and her people do, but I really don’t get what’s so bad about taking care of a Grade One demon where hippies were involved. Is Riley just annoyed with them or what? Speaking of the Grade One demon, well her job didn’t really take on much but reading out loud to weaken it? And that ending... where exactly was it taking readers to? What made it want a reader to look forward to? I’m all puzzled here.  

Since I haven’t read any of the books from this series, I thought this would help me understand Riley’s world a bit, but I don’t think it did much of a job. I guess that’s the problem with bonus short stories, they’re just too short to get anything deep out of them. But then again, I’ve read some that actually left me satisfied, this one though didn’t.

I guess it would have been more interesting to me if I’ve managed to read the first book beforehand. But have no fear, because I’m still eager to read the Demon Trappers books.