Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Just For Fins by Tera Lynn Childs [REVIEW]

Just For Fins
(Fins #3)
by Tera Lynn Childs
 Summary from Goodreads:

"When Lily Sanderson decided to remain Crown Princess Waterlily of the mermaid kingdom Thalassinia, she knew she couldn’t just coast along in the current. But since she’s spent the last couple of years on land—with gorgeous human Quince by her side—Lily’s not sure she has the fins to lead a kingdom. Even her maddeningly pretentious cousin Dosinia seems to know more about ruling than she does.

But Lily has to dive in deep to keep her promise to Tellin, her mer bond in name only, whose kingdom is suffering in the changing ocean climate. Lily knows this is a seven seas–sized problem: from sea animals dying to oil spills and threats to humans. They’ll need to create some serious waves to make the mer community aware and get it to join together to make things right. Even if that means facing one of the iciest queens in the mer kingdoms.

Just when Lily thinks her double life on land and sea can’t get any more complicated, an ancient mer law might separate Lily and Quince after all. It feels as if the pair is up against a solid tsunami wave!

In this third installment in the series that began with Forgive My Fins and Fins Are Forever, Lily will have to find a way to balance safety and justice for the mer people as well as for the humans she loves.
"

Rating:

Just For Fins is the third instalment of the Fins series. Here we find our protagonist, Lily taking on her first action as crown princess of Thalassinia. But as she treks the path to fulfilling her duties to her kingdom, she realizes she lacks the knowledge of what goes on in the ocean realm. Spending so much time on land, she left herself clueless of the problems hers and other mer kingdoms are facing. Determined to do whatever it takes to help out her mer bond in name only, Tellin, she goes about her way trying to find the best solution to fix these problems. Unfortunately that’s not the only thing she’ll be worrying about. While struggling to balance both land and sea life, Lily discovers that there is an ancient mer law that Quince must prove himself worthy of the love of a mermaid royalty. He has to take tests and failing those means losing each other. *Sigh* Life couldn’t seem to give Princess Waterlily a break...

I cannot tell you how badly I missed Quince! Yes, even though he wasn’t the main highlight of this book, I’m really glad to have him back (well, figuratively... you know what I mean). Oh, how I’ve missed you Quincy! *giggles*

So Lily is now bonded to Tellin (In name only as she insists. Well you better be girl ‘coz if you hurt Quince, blood will be shed. Whoops! Sorry, I’m getting carried away), and they are trying to fix the problem in Tellin’s kingdom, you know, water pollution, starving mer folk, and a king who’s too proud to ask for help. I’m glad that these two got along in a mutual, platonic relationship that enabled them to work together as a team or partners... whatever (I’m sorry but my mind just keeps going back to Quince. LOL). I’m just really happy that I won’t be worrying about another love triangle dilemma here. Anyway, this event opened Lily to discovering a lot of other worse scenarios in her meeting with the rest of the other kingdoms’ mer royalties. And boy, do those kings and queens have quite a pack of personalities! 

Speaking of personalities, I wasn’t really surprised to find Dosinia, Lily’s cousin, to have a change of heart after establishing a bond with Brody. It’s nice to see a different side of her that’s more positive and more caring, even though she pretends she doesn’t care. You’re not fooling anyone, Doe, but I’m glad you’ve changed.

Now let’s get back to my favourite topic – QUINCE! Ha ha ha! I’m giggling like a crazy love struck high school girl. Okay, I’m sorry. Let’s cut to the chase: I was a little annoyed to find that Quince had to take on a series of tests to prove his love for Lily. I mean, hasn’t he done enough of it already? I guess the stupid ancient law doesn’t think so. Hmph! Anyway, I think the tests weren’t so bad after all and I like how dedicated Quince was to succeed in them. It just made me love him even more. Teehee!

Overall this book was really enjoyable, I liked the first two books better but this was just as fun and cute. This isn’t really a heavily-built-plot kind of story so I wasn’t expecting anything cutting edge. Tera Lynn Childs’ Fins series is the sweetest kind of mermaid series I’ve read so far. If you want a light, sweet (maybe a bit cheesy to some, but I don’t mind), and cute chick flick-like story, you should give this series a shot.