Saturday, September 22, 2012

Intangible by J. Meyers [REVIEW]

Intangible (Intangible #1)
by J. Meyers


Summary from Goodreads:

"Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.

Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right. And he can’t do anything about it."

Rating:


Intangible takes readers to the supernatural world of twin’s Luke and Sera. Sera has the gift of healing with the touch of her hands, while Luke has the gift of seeing the future.

When Luke sees a future that involves Sera dying, he tries every possible way to stop it. But can he?

Also, it seems like they’re not the only ones gifted with abilities. In line with this, Sera and Luke find themselves caught in a whirlwind of encounters with vampires and other paranormal beings. Add that there are creatures out there that want them dead… but why? What do they possess to make them targets?

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

I always feel weird about how fraternal twins [a boy and a girl], in books like these, get some kind of bond that feels like they’re more than brother and sister. But maybe I just don’t understand, perhaps since I don’t have a twin brother, or that I didn’t have that kind of bond with my own brother.

Anyway, at least with Intangible it feels less weird than the other books I’ve read with the same kind of character setting. I like a lot the bonding moments that Luke and Sera have. It was cute that they had this sort of routine during that morning at breakfast, and the way they moved to get their food ready. It was like an unconscious dance step that they choreographed over time.

Although some of the conversation antics got a bit too old for me. Like the part where one of the characters would say “hello” and the other would answer back with a “hello yourself,” I get it between the twins, but then Marc tags along with the gesture? Seems off.

I was expecting to see Luke and Sera shift perspectives here, surely it did happen, but I didn’t expect to find POVs other than theirs. I saw the story, not only through Luke and Sera’s eyes, but also through Jonas and Marc; which I find a good thing. It’s always nice to see the story from different sides.

The protagonists were interesting, but I found the secondary characters, Jonas and Fey, to be more attention grabbing than Luke and Sera. I don’t know, probably because they know more of this other world than the twins so they came out wiser and more sensible.

Some parts still seem vague on details – trust authors to not give away specifics all at once – as expected in a series. I’m brewing with questions over until the ending. Not really a surprise since I always am filled with questions. Curiosity always does get the cat, huh?

I’m not exactly a fan of paranormal books – I like some, don’t get me wrong, but the whole vampire and gifted abilities gets old when you’ve had a mouthful of it already – but Intangible was really likable. It has a lot of potential to produce a well out amazing series. I hope the next books get more exciting! I'm looking forward to see Luke and Sera's adventure continue.

*Thank you, Ms. J. Meyers for the review copy of Intangible.