Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kiss of Frost by Jennifer Estep [REVIEW]

Kiss of Frost
(Mythos Academy #2)
by Jennifer Estep

Summary from Goodreads:

"I’m Gwen Frost, a second-year warrior-in-training at Mythos Acad­emy, and I have no idea how I’m going to sur­vive the rest of the semes­ter. One day, I’m get­ting schooled in sword­play by the guy who broke my heart—the drop-dead gor­geous Logan who slays me every time. Then, an invis­i­ble archer in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties decides to use me for tar­get prac­tice. And now, I find out that some­one at the acad­emy is really a Reaper bad guy who wants me dead. I’m afraid if I don’t learn how to live by the sword—with Logan’s help—I just might die by the sword..."

Rating:

Gwen Frost is in her second year in at Mythos Academy. After taking down a Reaper, Gwen has become a target of Loki’s followers. Now, not only does she have to worry about her grades, she also needs to learn how to fight, in case any Reaper comes for her. Going under warrior training with the gorgeous, Logan Quinn, who also happened to break her heart, Gwen must push herself to use a sword to survive this not-so-normal world...

I have been trying to get myself to think of what to say about Kiss of Frost but it’s almost three weeks since I’ve read this book and I still come out blank. I really like this book. I’m enjoying the series and all, but I can’t make myself voice out how I feel about it exactly. What’s wrong with me?

So I guess this review will be written out of whim. And I’m sorry if I might not make sense at some point. Okay... On with it then!

Characters. I fell in love with them during Touch of Frost but now... I think I’m having second thoughts? Not sure. Sheesh! This is awful. I hate not having a definite thought. *getting grumpy*

I like Gwen. She’s not exactly the kind of protagonist that stands out but either way, I’m fond of her. I think her wittiness is what makes me like her so much; even though sometimes she’s just pretty much an emo girl. Now Logan... hmmm... I don’t know what to think of him. He is cute and sexy. But I don’t like that he rubbed it in Gwen’s face that he’s with some other girl. Of course I’d side with Gwen – Hello?! At times like these, we girls stick together! Ha!

I’m particularly surprised with Oliver. Seriously, when Gwen’s psychometry flashed on Oliver’s notebook, I thought he secretly liked Gwen... but when it was finally revealed who Oliver was crushing on – Wow! I didn’t see that coming. It’s a really good twist!

Plot. A little predictable, except for the Oliver-part. It was kind of easy to tell who the villain was. I don’t know, maybe it was hinted out so much that it didn’t come out that much of surprise.

Love Interest. Well it was okay I guess, I mean, finally! I’ve been waiting for Gwen and Logan to be together so I was glad it finally happened. Logan’s still an a** though, but I kind of like how they banter with each other.
What I most liked about this book was the development of Gwen’s pyschometry power. Her gift was pretty simple during Touch of Frost. How she discovered that there’s more to just touching people and objects, and remembering everything like photographic memory, I can see why Gwen was chosen as Nike’s Champion. Her gift is incredibly powerful – and dangerous if given to someone who would use it for evil, but with Gwen... there’s so much she could do with it and I know she would use her gift wisely.

Kiss of Frost was very entertaining, but it didn’t surpass my amazement with Touch of Frost. Hopefully Dark Frost would be even better.