Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 End of the Year Book Survey



This is an Annual Book Survey hosted by Jamie from Perpetual Page Turner.
It's my first time to join in and I'm really excited to share with you my own answers. Feel free to join in on the fun!
Visit the
End of the Year Book Survey link to participate.

 Best In Books 2012

1. Best Book You Read In 2012?
This is a tough call. I’ve read a lot of amazing books this year. You can check out my top ten books I read this year on THIS LINK. But I guess my utmost favorite would be STORMDANCER by Jay Kristoff.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
This one’s a tie between THE UNRAVELING by Elizabeth Norris and STRUCK by Jennifer Bosworth. The blurbs were totally to-read worthy but the execution didn’t work for me.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
I haven’t been enthusiastic about Steampunk books lately [I haven’t found one that was interesting enough], but when I gave CINDER by Marissa Meyer a shot – wow! That was awesome!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Can I give more than one book recommendation? I’ll assume a yes, so here goes: If you’re looking for a new kind of fantasy novel you’re good to go with Jay Kristoff’s STORMDANCER; for contemporary and light reading there’s ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins; for zombie-junkies, you might enjoy ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND by Gena Showalter; and as for historical fiction with a touch of fantasy there’s GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers and THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas.

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
There’s only one series that ultimately made me crave for each book this year and that is the LUX Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Who hasn’t gotten into the Daemon Invasion yet?

      

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
I have been introduced to a lot of authors this year, my top three (3) would be: Jennifer L. Armentrout for her awesome Lux series! Kendare Blake for making horror stories [Anna Dressed in Blood] something I can endure and enjoy. And Robin LaFevers for letting me appreciate historical fiction once again [most of the ones I’ve read before weren’t so good].

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I am not much of a contemporary fan, but ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins made it so interesting I want to try others within the same genre.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
That would probably ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND by Gena Showalter. Seriously I read it until the wee hours just so I could finish it.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
As much as I’d like to, I don’t have time to re-read right now but if I do get the chance, I’d probably go for PARTIALS by Dan Wells. I love it but the whole scientific terms made me a little woozy but I’d still give it a go again.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?


CREWEL by Gennifer Albin – It took me a while to notice that there’s a girl in the picture. I thought it was all swirls and color. I don’t know why I didn’t see it at first.

11. Most memorable character in 2012?
The most striking character I can imagine reading about this 2012 is Syrenka from MONSTROUS BEAUTY by Elizabeth Fama.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Again that would be STORMDANCER by Jay Kristoff. I didn’t see it at first but when everything came into place, it was absolutely epic!

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
STEALING PARKER by Miranda Kenneally is the kind of story that has touched me personally because of what Parker had felt over being judged by others.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
That’ll be two books: OBSIDIAN by Jennifer L. Armentrout and ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins. My book buddies have been pushing me to read them for quite some time now but I only bothered to start on it this year. I felt incredibly foolish for not doing it sooner.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 

“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”
- From THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas

Not exactly the most epic quote but it stuck to me like glue. People really do underestimate the power of knowledge and what one man can do with it.

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
According to Goodreads my longest is EONA by Alison Goodman – understandable considering it was over 600 pages. The shortest would be [not including short stories and books less than 200 pages] HALF-BLOOD by Jennifer L. Armentrout

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Again, I have two answers for this one. Both the endings of OPAL by Jennifer L. Armentrout and PANDEMONIUM by Lauren Oliver

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Damn it! It’s so hard to give just one answer. I have several for this question: Ali and Cole from ALICE IN ZOMBIELAND by Gena Showalter, Katy and Daemon for the LUX SERIES by Jennifer L. Armentrout, Ismae and Gavriel from GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers, and last but not the least, Aria and Peregrine from UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
I would go for a Filipino author that I’ve been a fan of for a few years now: Mina V. Esguerra’s INTERIM GODDESS OF LOVE was a light, chic lit fantasy-ish novel that became my favorite from all her books.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
RENEGADE by J.A. Souders. I thought it would be just another one of those dystopian novels popping up everywhere but when my Goodreads buddies have been raving about it and suggested to try it, it was really worth reading!

Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Harry Potter. I know! I would really want to get to it already.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
Yeaaahhhh… That’s kind of a long list. There’s never just ONE book I’ll be looking forward to. I’m about to make a list on this one.

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
On Blogging – I want to do more giveaways. Hopefully for every occasion that comes – birthday, blogaversary, Christmas and whatnot. 

As for Reading – I want to get to trim down the book pile I have, even though there are still more books I’m looking forward to for the coming year. Yeah, good luck with that!