Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep [REVIEW]

TITLE: Crimson Frost 
             (Mythos Academy #4)
AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHER: K-Teen
PUB DATE: Dec 24 2012

Summary from Goodreads:

"For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.

I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…"


Rating:

Crimson Frost is the fourth instalment to the Mythos Academy series by Jennifer Estep. I don’t know why but for some reason, I find myself comparing this series to a slide, it started way up high but is somehow slipping from okay and way down. The first book, Touch of Frost was incredibly epic to me because it was new to my point of experience when it comes to incorporating mythology to a story. It was great. But then came Kiss of Frost which was pretty good, but just didn’t top the excitement I felt for the first book. When Dark Frost came out, things just went from good to bleh! It kind of lost its spark. But I had high hopes for this series so I went on and tried out Crimson Frost. Much to my dismay it still didn’t get high off the charts. But it was probably more bearable than the third book yet still not as satisfying as the first.

Gwen Frost once again comes back to Mythos and is finally, officially dating Logan. You think this girl could use the break from that entire stressful mythological world she’s in, but no. That wouldn’t make her the ever strong and tested protagonist that she’s supposed to be, would it? Right at the beginning she faces another kind of battle for her life. She ends up getting arrested by the Protectorate (police force of the mythos-world), which I refuse to feel that they are the right form of justice to any world considering they condemned Gwen guilty with only one measly witness (and a fraud at that) against her when they could question an entire group of students for whatever testament needed to be taken in for investigation.

As much as I didn’t really find myself liking Gwen here, I felt sorry for her. I’m not sure if I was just in one of my mood swings (the I’m-too-emotional-I’m-crying-about-every-little-thing kind of mood) that I found myself shedding tears every time the people around her picked on her, or maybe it just really bugs me when someone is being bullied. I’d say both.

I don’t buy the idea about Logan regarding the Reapers and Loki’s plans (you’ll get what I’m saying if you read the book). Honestly, there are a lot of elements to consider over the “qualifications”. Heck, Gwen could be an even better choice bearing in mind what she’s capable of, right?

I don’t understand the villains in this book. Seriously, why would you tell the hero the one thing that could stop your ploy??? And to our dear hero: how about trying to get the thing that controls the mind off of the person first before thinking that the only solution is to kill them? I mean, there’s such a word as common sense after all... Another thing I don’t understand is why every student from Mythos cowering in corners on the utmost time they’re supposed to take their trainings into consideration? Hello? Isn’t that moment what all they’ve been working their asses off for? And you consider yourselves “warriors”? Really? I find that hard to believe.

I know, I have so much complains about this book, but I’ve given this a lot of thought. I really liked the action in the ending, despite the lack of logic from the characters. I was also touched about Gwen’s major sacrifice just so she could save everyone, especially Logan. The ending was a little sad but I know there’s more to be seen about that. Honestly, this would have been better if only Estep took off some of the (in Gwen’s words) “frou-frou” going on.

*Thank you, K-Teen and NetGalley for the copy of Crimson Frost.