Friday, June 14, 2013

The Shattered Dark by Sandy Williams [REVIEW]

TITLE: The Shattered Dark
            (The Shadow Reader #2)
AUTHOR: Sandy Williams
PUBLISHER: Ace
PUB DATE: Oct 30 2012
Summary from Goodreads:

"McKenzie Lewis has a gift. It allows her access to a world few have seen, and even fewer can comprehend. It’s her secret. And it exists in the shadows…

McKenzie was a normal college student, save for one little twist: she’s a shadow reader, someone who can both see the fae and track their movements between our world and the Realm. It’s a gift for which she has been called insane, one for which she has risked family and friends—and one that has now plunged her into a brutal civil war between the fae.

With the reign of the king and his vicious general at an end, McKenzie hoped to live a more normal life while exploring her new relationship with Aren, the rebel fae who has captured her heart. But when her best friend, Paige, disappears McKenzie knows her wish is, for now, just a dream. McKenzie is the only one who can rescue her friend, but if she’s not careful, her decisions could cost the lives of everyone she’s tried so hard to save."

Rating:

Ms. Sandy Williams! How. Dare. You?! You... you... I can’t even... *sighs heavily* Okay, okay. I’m keeping my cool. *inhales deeply*

....... *exhale*

... Nope, not working – WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!

Alright, let me back up a little on this. I oh so loved The Shadow Reader that I just had to read The Shattered Dark immediately – as in right after I finished the last page of the first book. It was a good thing I purchase these two books at the same time. Else I would have had to painstakingly wait for my copy of the second book, and we all know that’s just torture.

Anyway, I was very enthusiastic about stepping into McKenzie’s world once more. Especially now that she’s considered trying out a relationship with Aren. I expected things to get really interesting. Not that The Shadow Reader wasn’t as interesting mind you, but I really expected this book to take this series to another level.

The Shattered Dark was a mess. Nope, not in a bad way but rather a mess with all the war, emotions and all things crazy in between happening to McKenzie’s life. Ah, our poor little protagonist. Not only is she dealing with a complicated relationship, which by the way is rather cute that she and Aren may be from different worlds but they go about with problems just as any typical relationships go through; but she’s also dealing with the war between the former Rebels and the former Fae King’s men; add in the predicament that McKenzie’s best friend, Paige has been kidnapped by the opposing fae.

Photo from my
Instagram: @janusvielle
As if that’s not enough, our lovely author, Ms. Williams here decides that McKenzie just had to suffer a little bit more. Pardon me, but I will not mention what this was about.

I swear I have mixed feeling about this matter, I feel distraught over what befell McKenzie, Aren and Kyol. Seriously, that is just sick! Okay, I may be a bit over reacting; it’s just that I love them all that it pains me to see them go through that.

And yet, I have to admit that’s one sneaky, awesome trick. As much as it pisses me off that Kyol did what he had to do, I can’t get myself to be angry at him, same as I can’t begrudge Aren for his decision in the end either.

The thing I like so much about this series is that there’s always so much going on in every chapter. Although, this was a little slower compared to its predecessor. Still, I’m eagerly anticipating The Sharpest Blade.