Monday, July 22, 2013

Gamer Girl by Mari Mancusi [REVIEW]

TITLE: Gamer Girl
AUTHOR: Mari Mancusi
PUBLISHER: Speak
PUB DATE: Nov 13 2008
Summary from Goodreads:

"Maddy's life couldn't get much worse. Her parents split and now she's stuck in a small town and at a new school. Most of the time, she retreats into her manga art, but when she gets into the Fields of Fantasy online computer game, she knows she's found the one place she can be herself.

In the game world, Maddy can be the beautiful and magical Allora and have a virtually perfect life. And she even finds a little romance. But can Maddy escape her real-life problems altogether, or will she have to find a way to make her real world just as amazing as her virtual one?"

Rating:

Mari Mancusi has become one of my go-to girls when I want something simple and easy to read whenever I need a break from my usual reading preferences. And although I have had Gamer Girl on my shelf for a year now, I only got to pick it up recently to [you guessed it] take a breather.

Gamer Girl resembles a movie I’ve watched back in 2004 starring Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray titled, A Cinderella Story. Maddy is so much like Sam, hard time fitting in, found chatting with someone online who happens to be a part of her own student body. Coincidentally the protagonist’s love interest here is also named Chad. Funny, eh?

The one thing that caught my interest was Maddy’s artistry. I for one am very appreciative of artworks so finding a protagonist very passionate about her drawings was pleasing to see. And imagine the hurt I felt for Maddy when her artworks were vandalized! How mean!

There’s nothing really special or heart pounding about this story. It was easy enough to pick out and guess who Sir Leo is from the group of guys introduced to Maddy. There were a lot of things that were predictable about Gamer Girl but the teamwork that happened within Maddy’s circle was rather touching.