Friday, September 6, 2013

Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas [REVIEW]

TITLE: Crown of Midnight
(Throne of Glass #2)

AUTHOR: Sarah J. Maas
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury Childrens
PUB DATE: Aug 15 2013
Summary from Goodreads:

"Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.

Love or loathe Celaena, she will slice open your heart with her dagger and leave you bleeding long after the last page of the highly anticipated sequel in what is undeniably THE hottest new fantasy series."

Rating:

“It was like coming home or being born or suddenly finding an entire half of herself that had been missing…The rest of the world quieted into nothing. In that moment, after ten long years, Celaena looked at Chaol and realized she was home.”

I have been avoiding writing a review of Crown of Midnight for several weeks now. Why, you may ask? Well, call me a wuss, but I didn’t want to be reminded of how painful it was to watch Chaol so heartbroken. *sob* But let me get back to that later…

Crown of Midnight was indeed an excellent follow up to its predecessor, Throne of Glass. While the latter was an enjoyable introduction to the world of Celaena, it didn’t show us our protagonist as an assassin, but rather as someone who is trying to get back on her feet, hence it being a little more on the mystery side and less action packed than expected. Crown of Midnight, on the other hand, finally showed us the dark side of Celaena.

As the King’s Champion, Celaena has been tasked to carry out the king’s bidding. Meaning she gets to kill people who pisses him off. I couldn’t imagine the kind morbidity her job has inclined her to do. Presenting decapitated heads, cutting of someone’s hands with heirlooms still attached as proof of the job done? I felt like throwing up. But we did ask to see Adarlan’s greatest assassin at hand, didn’t we? As brutal as it was, it was definitely interesting!

Another thing I find very interesting – and I mean VERY, VERY interesting – was the romance brewing between Chaol and Celaena. If I had my doubts on who deserved Celaena more between Chaol and Dorian, that all changed here. Chaol for the win!!! Shall we form a ship name? Chaoleana? Celaol? Ack! Never mind! It was so much fun to watch these two dance around their feelings for each other. Just seeing them hug already makes my insides flip with joy. And when they finally decided to take a chance together, I was completely sold! I loved every scene these two had which led me to have lots of favorite scenes. My most favorite moment of all was Chaol’s birthday. Wow! Just wow! I couldn’t stop giggling.

Ah… blissful moments… such happy, gushy, sweet moments. Until Ms. Maas here decided to shatter these moments like a mirror breaking to a thousand pieces! How cruel!!! Not only do these crazy love birds break up, but it gets worse! Why? Why must you do this Ms. Maas? I am perfectly happy with Chaol and Celaena together; I don’t need Dorian back into picture! What did I ever do to you?! *sobs* It was heartbreaking to watch Chaol looking so lost and defeated.

I understand Celaena for feeling betrayed, with all that she’s been through – from the struggles she had to overcome in the novellas, losing Sam, and the reason for her downfall and how she ended up in Endovier [which she still refuses to acknowledge the culprit even though I know she’s already figured that out] – but that doesn’t mean I’m okay with the way she acted, hence the 4-star rating. I don’t like the way she treated Chaol. He’s too much of a good guy to be treated that way.

I don’t think I need to emphasize any further how much I adore the Captain of the Guard. *sigh* Chaol Westfall, you are one heck of a man. A very sexy, handsome, dedicated, and loyal hero that deserves so much more than what he got in the end of Crown of Midnight. Don’t worry, baby, you’ll get redemption soon.

Heart pounding action, swoon worthy romance and mind-boggling revelations, Crown of Midnight is a sequel not worth missing out on. With all that went on in this book, I am sure that we are in for one very astonishing third book!