Thursday, February 13, 2014

Killer Frost by Jennifer Estep [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Killer Frost
(Mythos Academy #6)

AUTHOR: Jennifer Estep
PUBLISHER: Kensington Books
PUB DATE: Feb 25 2014


I’ve battled the Reapers of Chaos before–and survived. But this time I have a Bad, Bad Feeling it’s going to be a fight to the death … most likely mine.

Yeah, I’ve got my psychometry magic, my talking sword, Vic–and even the most dangerous Spartan on campus at my side, in Logan freaking Quinn, but I’m no match for Loki, the evil Norse god of chaos. I may be Nike’s Champion, but at heart, I’m still just Gwen Frost, that weird Gypsy girl everyone at school loves to gossip about.

Then someone I love is put in more danger than ever before, and something inside me snaps. This time, Loki and his Reapers are going down for good … or I am.

- Source: Goodreads

Rating:




“Self-sacrifice is a very powerful thing, especially if you do it of your own free will.”

After reading Killer Frost, there are a few things I feel like I’m seeing with fresh new eyes about the previous books. I realized I haven’t been as open-minded as I thought I was about Jennifer Estep’s writing style. I’ve been constantly complaining over how she keeps repeating facts from the previous books that I already read about over and over again every time I read one book and then the other. What I didn’t realize is if I looked at this book without the reminders of what happened previously, I wouldn’t understand what was going on at all. Also, since I’ve experienced reading books from other authors who don’t provide even a smidge of flashbacks or backstories, it was a struggle to remember what happened beforehand. So yeah, I appreciate the efforts Ms. Estep has done. Even if you haven’t read the other books from this series, reading Killer Frost alone would not make you feel lost.

I also realized I’ve been judging this series in an I’m-way-to-old-for-these-kinds-of-books sort of approach. I felt too superior about them that I didn’t look at them as light, quick reads that would tear me away from my grungy, dark novels. I should have appreciated the break from the norm.

In spite of all my grievances, I now just realized how emotionally attached I have become with Gwen and the other characters. I felt sad that this would be the last time I’ll ever get to read about them. But I’m also happy to find this kind of resolution provided for them, it is about time Gwen gets a break from the Reapers.

I may have voiced out the flaws I see and all, but I have to admit that time and time again, Mythos Academy books never fail to get me hooked. And well, Killer Frost surely gave the Mythos Academy series one epic ending; lots of action and excitement – a finale worth the wait.



*Thank you, Kensington Books and NetGalley for the copy of Killer Frost.