Monday, July 14, 2014

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: These Broken Stars
(Starbound #1)

AUTHOR: Amie Kaufman and
Meagan Spooner

PUBLISHER: Disney Hyperion
PUB DATE: Dec 10 2013
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

--

A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

Source: Goodreads

Rating:



“I was scared of having you, then losing you again. But it would be worth it a thousand times over. I was an idiot. I’m sorry. ”

I do believe there is no heart out there that Tarver Merendsen cannot melt into a puddle of goo with the story brought by These Broken Stars.

This book has defied every thought I conjured up at every step of the way. First, on the Icarus, a Titanic-like tragedy occurs, I thought it ought to be just another tragic love story. And then comes the crash to an unknown planet. Another moment I thought it might turn out to be another survival of the fittest situation, and yet it was more than that.

Tarver and Lilac’s character’s were very well established and come with definitive backgrounds that solidify their qualities. It also makes for a more empathic approach once readers get to see changes in them during the time spent on the mysterious planet after the crash.

There are but a few authors who are capable of writing alternating points-of-view that a reader can truly tell apart the characters’ personality and voices. I’ve read some that make them sound so much alike, and trying hard to make them seem like they are just coincidentally thinking of the same things.

I don’t think I need to point out how beautifully crafted the world – err, universe rather – that These Broken Stars has been written in. While there may be techie, sci-fi terms and descriptions thrown here and there, it was not a struggle to play with imagination.

These Broken Stars is a stellar book written by a very imaginative duo, Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. I love the originality of the story. I love the voices of the characters. I was engrossed with the mystery encased into the story. And I love the idea that just when I thought things were as it is – bam! I’m hit with another fascinating plot twist. If I didn’t look incredibly ridiculous doing a standing ovation in my room alone (or in a random public place) while looking at this book, I’d do it. But instead, I’ll settle with it just happening in my head. My mind has definitely been blown!



*Thank you, Disney-Hyperion for granting my request to view These Broken Stars.