Thursday, October 16, 2014

Shattered by Mari Mancusi [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Shattered (Scorched #2)
AUTHOR: Mari Mancusi
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
PUB DATE: Sep 2 2014
A girl at the end of the world.

Two brothers fighting for opposite sides.

And a dragon who can save them all...

Or set the world on fire.

Trinity's world changed forever the day she stole Emmy's egg. Now she's on the run with the last living dragon and twin brothers from a war-torn future. Connor may have betrayed his mission to kill Emmy, but he'll do whatever it takes to prevent the coming dragon apocalypse. Coddling a temperamental dragon on its way to being the size of a house is no way to keep them safe. But Caleb can't stand to see Emmy trapped and miserable.

When a video of Emmy flying over the skies of the Texas Hill Country goes viral, the government closes in--and the future they've risked everything for is about to go up in flames.

Source: Goodreads

Rating:



I wasn’t a big fan of the first book from this series, Scorched. But I always saw the plot as something intriguing. Even though the book didn’t meet my expectations, I was hoping to see it improve with the next books to come. So in spite of my uncertainties, I thought to give Shattered a try.

Shattered started off with a rather confusing prologue. It made me wonder, “Did I mistake this sequel for another book?” Always the impatient reader that I am, I suppose I should have waited until I reached the first chapter. What? I couldn’t help but react too soon!

I was glad to see that Shattered turned out way more eventful than Scorched. I had complained before that Scorched had an inconsistent pacing. Shattered on the other hand, showed off an exciting flow to the story.

I don’t think I felt improvement character-wise though. Trinity is struggling but she has that ever-determined persona that she always had going for her since book one. Caleb was turning into a weary yet redeemable character. Connor’s still self-righteous. He was boring to begin with in my opinion and I don’t find him any more interesting with this book.

The addition of Scarlet as a character first felt like it was unnecessary, then upon the Caleb-encounter, it felt like a consolation prize for him since he felt like being singled out by Trinity and Connor. Finally by the end I see the purpose behind the emergence of her character.

I’m beginning to understand Emmy a lot more now. I perceived her as simply a newborn dragon. I didn’t see it in a way that I could look at her as a growing teenager as well. Still, she felt way more human than dragon to me that way so I’m still skeptical.

The ending of Shattered was an unexpected turn out for something I thought to be more of a love story than anything else. Although I may have gripes with this book, I can’t deny that I’m excited to see how this would continue on. I’m still hoping for more improvements though, but overall this was a quick and momentous read.



*Thank you, Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for granting my request to view Shattered