Saturday, August 15, 2015

Jesse's Girl by Miranda Kenneally [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Jesse's Girl (Hundred Oaks #5)
AUTHOR: Miranda Kenneally
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
PUB DATE: Jul 7 2015


"Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?"

- Source: Goodreads

Rating:




Family can't always fix a difficult situation, and everybody makes mistakes. We shouldn't expect perfect. But we can hope that the people we love love us enough to try to make it right.

Miranda Kenneally has truly become one of my go-to authors for sweet contemporary stories. Whenever I need a break from devouring fantasy stories, I always turn to her books. Her first book, Catching Jordan while not a favorite of mine, had interesting characters that intrigued me. The kind of light, easy-read story that it was, lead me to read the next book, and the next book, the book after that and so on. And while each book introduces different sets of characters, seeing that it happens at the same environment, plus finding them connected with each other in some way, was fascinating.

Jesse's Girl is probably the lightest story of all the Hundred Oaks books to date for me. It doesn't have as much drama as the others and yet still remains an enjoyable book to read. I guess it's because Maya reminded me so much about myself when I was her age. I was too insecure and too intimidated to do something I had always dreamed of wanting to do. I felt I wasn't good enough for it to happen. But you know what they say about dreams.. If it doesn't scare you, it's not big enough. So watching her chase after it made me really happy for her.

The love story was already set in the beginning, you already know they're going to end up together. And to be honest, there isn't much to say about it. It was cute, but not the kind that will leave me in a puddle of goo for giggling and fan girling too much.

What I appreciate most about this story is how it showed the importance of family, in all forms (you'll get what I mean once you read it). And of course, following your dreams.

Jesse's Girl is a feel good, minimal drama story that will make any dreamer want to pursue their goals even more.

*Thank you, Sourcebooks Fire, and NetGalley for granting my request to view Jesse's Girl.

For more of my reviews, please visit my blog:
The Blair Book Project @ www.theblairbookproject.blogspot.com