Friday, September 25, 2015

Rogue by Julie Kagawa [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Rogue (Talon Saga #2)
AUTHOR: Julie Kagawa
PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen
PUB DATE: Apr 28 2015
Ember Hill left the dragon organization Talon to take her chances with rebel dragon Cobalt and his crew of rogues. But Ember can't forget the sacrifice made for her by the human boy who could have killed her—Garret Xavier Sebastian, a soldier of the dragonslaying Order of St. George, the boy who saved her from a Talon assassin, knowing that by doing so, he'd signed his own death warrant.

Determined to save Garret from execution, Ember must convince Cobalt to help her break into the Order's headquarters. With assassins after them and Ember's own brother helping Talon with the hunt, the rogues find an unexpected ally in Garret and a new perspective on the underground battle between Talon and St. George.

A reckoning is brewing and the secrets hidden by both sides are shocking and deadly. Soon Ember must decide: Should she retreat to fight another day…or start an all-out war?

- Source: Goodreads

Rating:




"Oh you know, a little burned, a little sore. Nearly died a couple of times. The usual."

The second installment of the Talon Saga packs quite a punch!

Julie Kagawa once again gives her readers another thrilling and adventurous sequel.

Rogue continues on to where it's predecessor, Talon, left off. Readers get to see Ember right in the middle of attempting to rescue Garrett. While I can see that Ember is a valiant protagonist, I can't seem to shake off my feelings of dislike. She hasn't really done anything wrong (other than the whole Garrett-Cobalt thing), but i can't find it in me to like her. Why? Maybe I've seen too much of her type [of character]?

The plot and flow of the story is as Julie Kagawa's style as ever. It smoothly goes through scene after scene, and you know you'll be getting somewhere exciting soon enough. Julie's writing style is a never failing one, as reader's will find themselves immersed in the story and nearing the end before they even realize it.

Yes, it's all good. My problem though, is that I've seen it all before. It was a magical process with The Iron Fey series, a journey that I have absolutely held in my heart as a treasured memory that I will forever love. And then I saw it similarly with the Blood of Eden series, which although has a different story, sadly had the same mix of characters, same story flow , and same appreciative ending. Back then it felt okay. However seeing the same idea again with a different lore here with the Talon Saga, made me a little less enthusiastic. I am not saying the books are bad, they are good. Really good even. I was just hoping for something different in the story telling process.

I love Julie. But sometimes I do feel like the way she tells the stories are getting a little on the redundant side. I love her writing, and I would continue to read more of her work. I am hoping for a lot more ground breaking impact feels over her next books.



*Thank you, Harlequin Teen and Netgalley for granting my request to view Rogue.