Saturday, February 13, 2016

Dare You To by Katie McGarry [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Dare You To
(Pushing the Limits #2)

AUTHOR: Katie McGarry
PUBLISHER: Mira Ink
PUB DATE: Jun 7 2013
Beth’s the bad girl that no-one wanted, not even parents.

Ryan’s the high school hero that everyone wants a piece of – even if no-one knows the real him.

Their paths should never have crossed – now they’re each other’s only life line.

If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk’s mum they’d send her mother to jail. So seventeen year old Beth protects her mum at all costs. Until the day she can’t. Suddenly sent to live with her uncle in a small town Beth’s now stuck with an aunt who doesn’t want her, and at a school that doesn’t get her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn’t go anywhere near a girl like Beth. . . .

Ryan Stone is gorgeous, a popular jock and the town golden boy—with secrets he can’t tell anyone. Even his friends. As Ryan and Beth dare to let each other in, they’re treading on dangerous ground – and the consequences could change their worlds forever.

Source: NetGalley

Rating:



"I've never been in love before. I thought I had been, but I wasn't. This overwhelming, encompassing feeling is love. It's not perfect and it's messy as hell. And it's exactly what I need."

So where do I begin?

I loved Pushing the Limits, it was an emotional read for me and I really appreciated every moment of reading it. So, I just had to read Dare You To right after.

Beth wasn't a likable character in the previous book, and while I did not absolutely love her in her own story, it's nice to finally understand where she's coming from with the attitude, the cursing, and the detachment she keeps throwing off. Ryan, on the other hand, throws off a goody-two-shoes kind of vibe. The perfect kind, at least on the outside. I don't find Beth and Ryan as memorable as Echo and Noah, but I totally dig how they complement each other as a couple.


Beth's background story is another heavy aspect, much like Echo's. Like I said earlier, getting to know her past made me see why she became the kind of girl that I met at the beginning. I couldn't wait to finally see her happy. She's been through so much, she deserved some peace.

I love the idea that this book is trying to remove the stigma that jocks are only good for one thing - sports and nothing else. Ryan's character made it so that readers will be able to see that everybody can and do have options. There will always be choices.

While it wasn't as emotional as PtL, Dare You To had its fair share of romance and drama that I enjoyed. It also made me look forward to the next book, seeing as to how Isaiah's story would unwrap itself.



*Thank you, Mira Ink and Netgalley for granting my request to view Dare You To.