Friday, March 11, 2016

The Golden Braid by Melanie Dickerson [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: The Golden Braid
(Hagenheim #6)

AUTHOR: Melanie Dickerson
PUBLISHER: Thomas Nelson
PUB DATE: Nov 17 2015
The one who needs rescuing isn’t always the one in the tower.

Rapunzel can throw a knife better than any man around. And her skills as an artist rival those of any artist she’s met. But for a woman in medieval times, the one skill she most desires is the hardest one to obtain: the ability to read.

After yet another young man asks for Rapunzel’s hand in marriage, Mother decides they need to move once again, but this time to a larger city. Rapunzel’s heart soars—surely there she can fulfill her dream. But Mother won’t let her close to a man. She claims that no man can be trusted.

After being rescued by a knight on the road to the city, and in turn rescuing him farther down the road, Rapunzel’s opportunity arrives at last. This knight, Sir Gerek, agrees to educate Rapunzel in order to pay back his debt. She just has to put up with his arrogant nature and single-minded focus on riches and prestige.

But this Rapunzel story is unlike any other and the mystery that she uncovers will change everything—except her happily ever after.

- Source: Goodreads


Rating:



"We all have a choice, after all, to be our own person, to be the person we wish to be."

I've come to enjoy Melanie Dickerson's novels. In fact she was the first author who introduced me to Christian romance books, and immediately became one of my 'go to' authors for this genre. Even though this is only the third book I've read from her. I'm definitely watching out for more of her books.

And this here, The Golden Braid, is what I felt was missing from The Princess Spy! This was a story that simultaneously happened while all the events from The Princess Spy occurred. I've always felt like there was something I wasn't seeing with TPS and here was the answer!

Finally! I've been waiting to see one of the books from this series get a lot more eventful than it usually has been.

The Golden Braid starts of as typically Melanie Dickerson style. I am quite enthralled with her character introductions and writing style so as always, the first few pages were enough to get me settled and yearning to turn page after page.

I often find the books for this series enjoyable although not so spectacular, The Golden Braid took a different turn. The previous books mentioned a little princess and an unfortunate fate the befell her, and since it wasn't discussed in detail, I was really surprised to find out the whole story about her here. Not only was the reveal a surprise but every twist in the plot was an exciting turn.

The Golden Braid is a great addition to the Hagenheim series, while most of the previous ones I've read were a mellow sort, this gave the much needed pull I've been waiting for.



*Thank you, Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for granting my request to view The Golden Braid.