Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Defending Taylor by Miranda Kenneally [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Defending Taylor
(Hundred Oaks #7)

AUTHOR: Miranda Kenneally
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
PUB DATE: Jul 5 2016
Captain of the soccer team, president of the Debate Club, contender for valedictorian: Taylor’s always pushed herself to be perfect. After all, that’s what is expected of a senator’s daughter. But one impulsive decision—one lie to cover for her boyfriend—and Taylor’s kicked out of private school. Everything she’s worked so hard for is gone, and now she’s starting over at Hundred Oaks High.

Soccer has always been Taylor’s escape from the pressures of school and family, but it’s hard to fit in and play on a team that used to be her rival. The only person who seems to understand all that she’s going through is her older brother’s best friend, Ezra. Taylor’s had a crush on him for as long as she can remember. But it’s hard to trust after having been betrayed. Will Taylor repeat her past mistakes or can she score a fresh start?

Source: Goodreads


Rating:




"The future's wide open, filled with opportunity. But I've got a life to live in the meantime."

Over the years, I've come to look forward to Miranda Kenneally's Hundred Oaks books. They're fresh, light, inspirational stories that I always find either relatable or something I can learn from.

Taylor is a dedicated character. As a mom, I felt rather distraught over the pressure she felt over her school work, college applications and everything in her life. Does being privileged really come with that much pressure? It scares me to think what my own daughter would go through when she's at the same age as Taylor.

I love how the author's stories make me think about my own decisions when I was younger. It takes me back to the times where I made huge decisions and wonder if I did make good choices. Maybe I did since I ended up where I am now. Teehee!

Anyway, there's not much I can tell in detail about the events that unfolded in Defending Taylor, but I did notice that these books (from the Hundred Oaks) are getting bolder! In many ways really. Self discovery, sexuality, romance and the everyday real life issues we experience.

Defending Taylor is a really great feel-good story! I love the way Taylor's character matured throughout her story. It's not the whole epic grand slam change, but a subtle yet life altering change that sets her onto a world she'd be happier to journey forward.



*Thank you, Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley for granting my request to view an advance copy of Defending Taylor.