Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Warrior Witch by Danielle L. Jensen [ARC REVIEW]

TITLE: Warrior Witch
(The Malediction Trilogy #3)

AUTHOR: Danielle L. Jensen
PUBLISHER: Angry Robot Books
PUB DATE: May 3 2016


The thrilling conclusion to the breakout Malediction Trilogy by Goodreads Choice finalist Danielle L. Jensen.

Cécile and Tristan have accomplished the impossible, but their greatest challenge remains: defeating the evil they have unleashed upon the world.

As they scramble for a way to protect the people of the Isle and liberate the trolls from their tyrant king, Cécile and Tristan must battle those who’d see them dead. To win, they will risk everything. And everyone.

But it might not be enough. Both Cécile and Tristan have debts, and they will be forced to pay them at a cost far greater than they had ever imagined.


Source: Goodreads



Rating:





“A life without purpose is no life at all.”

Okay, truth be told, I’d been holding off my review for this one since I finished it a month ago. Why? It just makes the idea that this series has ended all the more real. Not like it’s not, still…

But alas, all things really must come to an end. As for the moment, I am finally saying goodbye to one of my favorite fantasy series, the Malediction trilogy.

I have grown to love Cecile and Tristan since their first book, Stolen Songbird. It was just one of those books that made you see that it was going to be an epic series and that you’ll be on the look out for each book’s release. It was THAT good.

Danielle L. Jensen, did not waste time at all from the start of the Warrior Witch. A year has passed since I read the second installment, Hidden Huntress, so I was kind of lost at the beginning, trying to refresh my memory on who was who and what happened previously. But since I still remember the gist of it, it wasn’t at all that hard to settle in.

It was a very strange feeling for me to find that there were certain changes made throughout the story. So much scheming and revelations going on it was a little overwhelming to be honest, but they were all so interesting that I couldn’t stop myself from turning page after page after page.

There were many surprises in this book. Some were rather baffling and rather crazy I seriously didn’t expect - like the Troll King’s secret; Others were a little bizarre and I didn’t know what to make of - like Melusina’s arrival. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the aide she provided upon coming into picture but I don’t get how she materialized. I feel like I missed some background story beforehand or I forgot this was ever clued in; Another set of surprises just made me go: “Oh, my goodness, Danielle! What are you doing with my heart?”

So yeah, judging from all that it was an incredibly eventful book. It wasn’t a happy ending per se, but fulfilling nonetheless. It gave me, as a reader, the sense of closure I always want to be left with after finishing a series.

Thank you, Ms. Jensen for an unforgettable tale!



*Thank you, Angry Robot Books and NetGalley for granting my request to view an advance copy of Warrior Witch.