Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

        
Catching Fire
(The Hunger Games #2)
by Suzanne Collins


Summary from Goodreads:

"Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.

Catching Fire maintains the adrenaline rush of Suzanne Collins's series launch."


Rating:


One word to perfectly describe Catching Fire for me – GENIUS! Make that two words – PURE GENIUS! The plot was marvelous. I didn’t expect the turnabout that has occurred on this book. 

I love the new characters that appeared on Catching Fire, despite not knowing who they were during Hunger Games, Collins has given them distinct and remarkable personalities that the reader would definitely not forget. Aside from that, I also love seeing Katniss develop her character even more. On the love triangle issue, it seems Peeta already had a good start from the first book on being the readers’ bet for Katniss. But on the second book, it’s nice to see Gale tip the scale a bit.

I can’t quite decipher how I feel about the ending. Of course, I’m excited to read Mockingjay after it but somehow I feel like it’s such a major cliffhanger. It’s great to hold readers when opening another book that would continue the tale but a sad and questionable ending if it stands alone. Anyhow, like I said, I really can’t wait to read Mockingjay!