Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

        
The Hunger Games
(The Hunger Games #1)
by Suzanne Collins
Summary from Goodreads:

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

Rating:

I wasn’t planning to read this book because I hated to feel the regret of books widely popular but turn out to be disappointing for the readers. But curiosity has taken its toll on me so I ended up buying the Hunger Games box set. And now I know what the fuss is all about! 

At the first few pages, I was immediately at awe with Collins’ writing. The plot was something I rarely encountered in books, although it seems to remind me of a movie that had the same killing game agenda. I just totally forgot the movie title and the actors’ names but I foggily remember that they were convicts and big, brawny, wrestler-type of men fighting for their lives and their freedom on some island. 

Anyway going back to Hunger Games, as I said, the plot was rare and I found it to be incredibly detailed and well-thought off. Usually, books would have their fair share of slowness; either to let the readers brace for what comes next or just to give them time to get to know the characters. But this doesn’t, it leaps you immediately into action (which I love so much!), getting you hyped and in spite of the many busy adventures occurring throughout the book, Collins gives the reader enough time and detail throughout the book to understand Katniss’ personality and know her history. She’s a very strong character with solid qualities. I love that she’s no damsel-in-distress. I love that her relationship with Peeta is conspired differently and is being moulded into something true and unyielding. 

Despite the cliff-hanger at the ending, the Hunger Games is unquestionably a great book to read and I look forward to know what comes next!