Wednesday, August 3, 2011

City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

        
City of Ashes
(The Mortal Instruments #2)
by Cassandra Clare
Summary from Goodreads:

"A murderer is loose in New York City ... 

... and the victims are Downworlder children. Clary Fray and her fellow Shadowhunters have a strong suspicion that Valentine, Clary's father, may be behind the killings. But if he is the murderer, then what's his true motive? To make matters worse, the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, has been stolen, and the mysterious Inquisitor has arrived to investigate, with his eyes vigilantly targeted on Clary's brother, Jace. 


Clary will need to face some terrifying demons and even more terrifying family decisions. No one said that the life of a Shadowhunter would be easy."

Rating:

I loved the start of this series, City of Bones. But I didn’t like City of Ashes as much. Not that it wasn’t good, it is actually, but compared to the first book, this was a bit slow. I’m not the type to dawdle with too long suspense; I’m very impatient when it comes to these matters so you’ll have to forgive me. 

City of Ashes was action-packed but everything seemed to just crash in, one after the other, making it so confusing, it had left me with more questions than answers. Obviously, meaning that City of Glass will have to reveal everything to me. It seems kind of a downer. Of course, I will read the third book. I’ve been eager to read it ever since I started this series. But having what occurred on this book made it seem like a requirement, if you want to know how it ends that is. Where’s the pleasure and excitement of finding out what happens next if it’s apparently mandatory. No fun! Hmph!

Anyways, another thing I didn’t appreciate is how Jace seemed to lose his spark. Yes, I know he’s heartbroken and all but it’s like I’m looking at a totally different person. Seriously, where’s MY Jace? But, putting things in perspective, I understand the necessity of his behavior. Nevertheless, it doesn’t make it okay! Sorry I’m bitter as Jace was too. 

I guess that’s the good side of this though, I’m highly affected by the characters... okay fine! Mostly just Jace. And that helped me get through this book.