Wednesday, August 3, 2011

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

        
City of Glass
(The Mortal Instruments #3)
by Cassandra Clare
Summary from Goodreads:

"To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. 

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?"


Rating:

One. Four. Three… The three numbers that comes into my mind when I think of City of Glass. It’s more than just the simple I LOVE YOU [Jace] LOL!

ONE word I keep muttering as I was finishing the book : WOW!

FOUR syllable word I said after turning over the last page : IN–CRED–I–BLE!

THREE words that can sum up how I feel about this novel : ALL TIME FAVORITE!

*Sigh*

I’ve always loved the character of the Mortal Instruments, so I was very pleased to see them grow here in City of Glass. Even though I had uncertainties about the second book, City of Ashes, Clare did not disappoint me here. Everything was just as I wanted it. I love how unpredictable this has turned out to be. Really! There were some events that I just went, “Whoa! I did not see that coming!” or “Wwwwhaaaattt??? No way!” or I would just eventually find myself gasping, laughing, giggling or unconsciously be holding my breath. And since I’m such a sucker for happy endings, I love how this ended. 

As for Clare’s writing, it is rather remarkable. Okay, I will yield to those who said there are similarities with J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter. But as one my favorite authors, Shannon Hale, wrote on one of her blogs, when you’re starting as a writer/author, you get some of your inspiration from your favorite novels and authors. And sometimes, you’ll even write similarly to them, and it’s okay because eventually you will find your own writing style. Those aren’t her exact words but somehow that’s how I understood it. Anyway, my point is I finally saw what she was trying to say through Clare’s books, sure, they had somewhat similar notions with the villains, or the recognition of character traits from HP here as well but despite the resemblance, it has its own plot which is unique and captivating. 

Moving on, I’d just like to say that I have developed an emotional attachment towards this series and I will definitely never forget the experience I’ve had with reading it.