Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

        
Delirium
(Delirium #1)
by Lauren Oliver



Summary from Goodreads:

"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love."

Rating:

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

No! No! No!

Sorry, I just had to get that out. ^_^

I expected Delirium to be focused on a love story but I did not expect how much suspense it would contain. It felt like a modern-age love-tragedy tale of Romeo and Juliet. It was simply heartbreaking.

The plot was very well executed. This new world that Lauren Oliver has created was vivid and ingenious, but scary and sad at the same time. It reminded me of a movie I once watched where Nicole Kidman starred in. I can’t quite remember the title of the movie (I suck at that!) but I do murkily remember how it goes. Apparently there’s this town where husbands turn their wives into these seemingly stoic and plain housewives who only care about the well being of their husbands and nothing else. The wives were formerly successful women turned into those because the husbands feel inferior towards their wives occupations; hence making them these smiling, cooing, boring, robot-like ladies.

Anyway, back to my review, the life of the cureds felt zombie-like and I couldn’t blame anyone feeling the need to break free from it. God never took away any of His children’s freewill and yet here was a world that took that from you by taking away the feeling of love. Making you nothing more than a living lifeless thing. Living but not really LIVING at all.

Moving on, I don’t have much to say about the characters. Each one is copiously established. They’re fitting to what they portray. I like Lena’s voice. I adored Hana. Alex was nice. Although, sometimes he feels too perfect a man. Too calm or something; I can’t quite make it out. 

When I reached the last 2 remaining chapters, I was holding my breath, saying and fretting: “Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh!” *deep breath* “Oh My Gosh!” *pant* “Oh…My…Gosh! Oh my gosh!” *hands shaking book* “OH MY GOSH!” And the last 2 pages made me scream the words, or rather word, you see at the top of this review. With how Delirium ended, I’m eager to read the next book.