Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

        
Nightshade
(Nightshade #1)
by Andrea Cremer


Summary from Goodreads:

"Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything- including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?"

Rating:




Nightshade = Predictable? NOT!

This book is absolutely dynamic. The plot is not something you would normally encounter. The whole mythology and history was greatly in-depth. I think Cremer had gone through real painfully long hours of research to pull it off that immensely. I love that, from start to finish, I hadn’t gone weary (not one bit!). With every flip of a page and with every passing chapter, there’s just always something gripping you to keep reading.

The characters are noteworthy. Calla is an alpha wolf. Yes! Finally a female pack leader. Ha! Ha! Ren, a male alpha, had really proven his dominating personality, both in good and annoying ways. Shay is one of kind, although I am still wondering why he’s throwing himself all over Calla. Everyone else involved, Bryn, Ansel, etcetera, they all stand out, and I admire Cremer’s ability to have created them in such a way. 

I did find some things puzzling though. I don’t get how Calla and Shay even started having feelings for each other. Don’t get me wrong, I like Shay and Calla’s relationship, it’s sweet and funny but how did it even begin? At the opening chapter, it just kind of whacked into the scene without anything solid to define it. On the other hand, Ren and Calla’s relationship seemed vague. I mean it was clear that Ren’s in love with Calla, but how did it actually start anyway? He’s a ladies’ man, what exactly did Calla have to pull him to her? I’m not questioning Calla’s personality; I just want to have something to grasp at to be able to understand how it all occurred.

I can say that this is a spectacular debut novel, still every book has its flaws but Nightshade’s blemishes does not surpass the aptitude that this book has to offer. Up until the end I’m torn between Ren and Shay, so I’m very eager to know how it’ll turn out. I cannot, and I mean CANNOT, wait for Wolfsbane.