Monday, August 22, 2011

Rambling #2: Once Upon A Time Collection

When I was a kid, I've always been fascinated with fairy tales. I grew up watching the disney princesses and other mythical cartoons, and I've read a handful of fairy tales too. To this day, it seems that I still haven't outgrown that love for it. 


This leads me to this week's rambling topic: the impulse of trying to collect the entire "Once Upon a Time" series published by Simon & Schuster. It's a collection of books that retell the classic fairy tales we've known when we were kids. 


Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are 19 Books from this series. The first book I've read from this collection was "Before Midnight" by Cameron Dokey. And after finishing it, I was so hyped up to find the others.


Here are the ones I've got so far:



The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of "Rumpelstiltskin" by Suzanne Weyn
The Night Dance: A Retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses" by Suzanne Weyn
Before Midnight: A Retelling of "Cinderella" by Cameron Dokey
Belle: A Retelling of "Beauty and the Beast" by Cameron Dokey
The Rose Bride: A Retelling of "The White Bride and the Black Bride" by Nancy Holder
Beauty Sleep: A Retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" by Cameron Dokey
Midnight Pearls: A Retelling of "The Little Mermaid" by Debbie Viguie
The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of "The Arabian Nights" by Cameron Dokey
Snow: A Retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" by Tracy Lynn

I've managed to buy 10 of them and I'm still hunting the remaining. I didn't enjoy some of them but I still find that they are great books to collect, plus there are those that stood out than the rest which I found to be truly memorable retellings. 

I do wish that the publication settled with the artwork rather than changed them into human portraits. It would've been nice to have my books with matching covers and I find the artwork really beautiful and unique.