Thursday, August 4, 2011

Shadowspell by Jenna Black

        
Shadowspell
(Faeriewalker #2)
by Jenna Black
Summary from Goodreads:

"On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?"
Rating:

Okay, I can’t help but ask, was this really intended as a YA novel? I mean, yes I can see there are no intimate scenes, just lots of kissing, but there are some trifling cases of corruption of minor here. LOL 

Anyway, when I started this series, with Glimmerglass of course, I thought it was a good book. It was fun to read but didn’t give me that much to think about. It was enjoyable, but not very striking. So with that in mind, I was caught off guard when I started reading Shadowspell. 

I couldn’t wrap my head on the fact that this book has just kept me guessing and guessing with the events and yet I couldn’t come up with a good prediction on what would happen. It was THAT unpredictable. So when everything was revealded… BAM! It was totally unexpected. 

I liked that I saw growth among the characters; one in particular is Dana. Dana may be all naïve and ignorant but she knew what she was getting herself into but she tried her best to weigh things as well as she could, even if both choices had an awful future ahead. If you’re reading this book, you may feel like you want to slap the senses out of her, but I still empathize with her, she’s still just a kid after all. 

Getting to see more of Keane was another thing I liked because I didn’t see much of him from the first book. It’s also nice to see more of Finn, Kimber and Ethan as well so I wasn’t disappointed. I also applaud that the author didn’t create an all-too-perfect leading man. Ethan, to my eyes, is an a**. He’s a player and he knows it but wants Dana all the same. But I like that despite the fact that he’s not boyfriend-material, he wants to be so with Dana. I also am very much intrigued about the Erlking, Arawn with his great powers and needing to take Dana’s virginity and all, so I want to find out more. 

Overall, this book is pretty good, bit on the mature side, but a good installment among the Faeriewalker series.