Friday, August 12, 2011

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

        
Wolfsbane
(Nightshade #2)
by Andrea Cremer


Summary from Goodreads:

"When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive."

Rating:





This is an intense and very informative book.

I think I’m still a little overwhelmed as Calla was on discovering the history and truths about the life she thought she knew. I thought that Nightshade, the first book of this series has already provided me with enough background to understand the mythology and fantasy of this tale. Little did I know that there was more to it than I already learned?

Wolfsbane isn’t as action-packed as the first book was, it was more focused on all the planning to rescue Calla’s pack mates and gather forces on the Searchers’ side, knowing the truth behind the Keepers’ lies, and finding out more about Shay’s importance and the history of the Searchers’ and Keepers. It’s quite a lot of talk really.

I’m not really a fan of that sort so I did find it slow and dreary. But the new characters that had come into picture caught my interest. There were a lot of personalities to take in from all the new characters, but I enjoyed getting to know them all.

At first when they all gathered up on a supposed meeting, I was annoyed for being so confused at not understanding any of what they were talking about. It was only later that I realized that Cremer was showing the difference of the Searchers from the Keepers.

In Calla’s eyes, the Searchers were given much freewill to express their opinion and emotions. Despite how confusing they can get and how well off topic they could end up at, they show respect to their leader and in return their leader treats them equally. Something Calla has not experienced in her life at the Keepers’ hands. She was given what to do, and she does it, no questions asked.

I don’t have a say on the Shay-Calla-Ren relationship, I was torn between who to bet on for Calla during Nightshade, but now I’m still on information-overdrive that I hadn’t thought about which team to be on.

Even though I said that this book dragged, there were lots of surprises too. The last few chapters took in every ounce of action it may’ve lacked in the beginning. I was sad to see some of the characters I’ve come to love change or get killed. I was also shocked with the revelation near the end. Boy, I did not see that coming! Just when you though you knew everything, here comes something new to think about! I expect Bloodrose to be pouring out with action and surprises that will have anyone following this series on the edge of their seat.