Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

        
Wondrous Strange
(Wondrous Strange #1)
by Lesley Livingston


Summary from Goodreads:

"17 year-old Kelley Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what she thinks... In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelley's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye."

Rating:

I first saw Wondrous Strange on the net while searching for good YA books to read. As soon as I read the excerpt, and being a sucker for faerie books, I just had to get a copy. 

When I finally got the chance; well, I like the story. But I did not love it as much as the other faerie books i've read. 

First of all, I have to admit that there are a lot of faerie books out now that start off with a long lost faerie princess thing and it wore me down a bit. However, I like how this turned out to be, because usually, faerie princess I've read are half-human and half-faerie. Finding Kelley on the deeper side of the Faerie Realm made it far interesting. 

I admire Lesley Livingston's manner of making even the minor characters stand memorable roles throughout the story. I was also delighted to see Lesley incorporating the classics and looping a little mythology into her book, where in fact that the Janus Guards(by Janus, being my name - loved that one! and Janus in mythology, the God of Doors and Gates), absolutely true to their roles and the name itself, guarded the gates between the mortal world and the faerie world. 

Overall I enjoyed reading this book. The writing was striking, the characters were most likely REAL; one of the few books in which characters had real reactions & emotions towards what they face. 

A great debut novel! ^^