Thursday, September 22, 2011

Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay

        
Juliet Immortal
by Stacey Jay
Summary from Goodreads:

""These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

The most tragic love story in history . . .
Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love."

Rating:

“The greatest love story ever told is a lie.”

That catch phrase was enough to make me pick up this book. When I read the excerpt, it just made things a lot more interesting. And thus, I began reading the story of Juliet and her Romeo in a different kind of light.

So the first part of the story takes us to where Juliet and Romeo are at present. Of course, they’re already dead but their souls jump in and out of different bodies for centuries now. They do this to accomplish their missions; Juliet, working as an Ambassador of Light, saves true love/preserves soul mates and Romeo tries to win one of them to the Mercenaries’ cause, where one has to sacrifice his/her soul mate’s life, just like what he did with Juliet. Juliet is in Ariel’s body while Romeo inhabits the now dead body of the boy who made a fool out of Ariel.

Oh, Juliet, nothing tastes as bitter as the grudge of woman scorned! LOL. Juliet had a lot of hate-issues in her. I really pitied Juliet on how her fate ended up at. Not that I can blame her for falling deeply in love with a boy she thought would give her the world, she was young and naïve; and I hated Romeo for what he did.

But as I progressed through the book, I realized that Juliet wasn’t the only one who was gullible, Romeo was just the same. They were both young after all. I felt how Romeo, despite being a total jerk, regretted his actions.

I wish I got to know more things about the Mercenaries and the Ambassadors of Light though, since they seemed so significant in Juliet and Romeo’s present lives, but there weren’t much of them to be seen around.

I was very much surprised about the ending. I don’t know if this book has a 2nd one from the way it ended but I cringe at the idea of what happened. I’m not going to say what it is, but it seems that no matter how the author tried to make it seem like a happy ending, it was still tragic.

Although, I have to say; I’d give Stacey Jay a pat on the back with how beautiful her writing style is!

I really enjoyed reading this book even though it’s not particularly my type of stories. I’m not one to go for the somewhat-dramatic kind of books but I’m happy I gave this a try.

Juliet Immortal is a story that teaches us that in spite of all the pain, we can learn to love again; and that in more ways than one, we can learn to forgive others but mostly, forgive ourselves.