Monday, September 19, 2011

Meridian by Amber Kizer

        
Meridian
(Fenestra #1)
by Amber Kizer
Summary from Goodreads:

"Half-human, half-angel, Meridian Sozu has a dark responsibility.

Sixteen-year-old Meridian has been surrounded by death ever since she can remember. As a child, insects, mice, and salamanders would burrow into her bedclothes and die. At her elementary school, she was blamed for a classmate’s tragic accident. And on her sixteenth birthday, a car crashes in front of her family home—and Meridian’s body explodes in pain. 

Before she can fully recover, Meridian is told that she’s a danger to her family and hustled off to her great-aunt’s house in Revelation, Colorado. It’s there that she learns that she is a Fenestra—the half-angel, half-human link between the living and the dead. But Meridian and her sworn protector and love, Tens, face great danger from the Aternocti, a band of dark forces who capture vulnerable souls on the brink of death and cause chaos."

Rating:

This book has its perks: the premise sounds so intriguing, it has a great cover, and the story itself was catchy. However I felt that it wasn’t fully developed.

I guess it needed more work. Let’s set aside the issue of Christianity and/or religious beliefs because in Meridian’s world, it has a different perspective so I totally understand that. But I think the flow of the book might have been overlooked. The establishment of the characters’ lives was an okay phase for me; the training of Meridian’s Fenestra powers was a little unevenly set. And the climax was way too fast and not as eventful as I thought it would be.

The characters also needed improving. As much as I like Meridian and Tens, they were underdeveloped, and there are things I do not understand about them. I also feel like I didn’t get to know them that well. Although I do like seeing them together and I kind of get giddy whenever they get all sweet and lovey-dovey. LOL.

I also felt that some of the conversations where either non-essential to the story or when cut-off midway to establish intrigue, isn’t continued again at all. That’s kind of a bummer.

Still, I was hooked to this book; I really love the romance between Meridian and Tens. I think the whole Fenestra thing was great and the history created for it was very well thought of.

I will read the next book and I hope it gets better. I have faith in the Fenestra series!