Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Watersong: A Retelling of "The Frog Prince" by Suzanne Weyn

        
Water Song:
A Retelling of "The Frog Prince"
by Suzanne Weyn
Summary from Goodreads:

"Young, beautiful, and wealthy, Emma Pennington is accustomed to a very comfortable life. Although war rages abroad, she hardly feels its effect. She and her mother travel from their home in Britain to the family estate in Belgium, never imagining that the war could reach them there. But it does.

Soon Emma finds herself stranded in a war-torn country, utterly alone. Enemy troops fight to take over her estate, leaving her with no way to reach her family, and no way out.

With all of her attention focused on survival and escape, Emma hardly expects to find love. But the war will teach her that life is unpredictable, people aren't always what they seem, and magic is lurking everywhere."

Rating:

Watersong is a short, quick tale that I find so endearing. 

This is a retelling of the Grimm Brothers’ well known tale, “The Frog Prince,” more or less I should say. It was loosely based on that story anyway. Weyn pretty much played around with the idea of it and although endowed with magic, giving it a more realistic approach. 

The story was set on the brink of World War I. With that I mind, I expected this to be sinking into the depressing state of events. Fortunately, I got a spunky, funny and surprisingly entertaining tale instead. 

What made Watersong a winner for me was how distinctive and appealing the two main characters were. Emma and Jack were witty and virtuous. I love them individually and I also love them together. 

I don’t have much to say about it since this really is just short and if I babble on, I might give it away. It’s a book any fairytale-loving person can appreciate for its rareness, sweetness, and all the other niceness. Okay, I’m not making sense, sorry; just note that this is really a good book to read and I totally recommend it. It’s a simple and hasty tale you’ll get to enjoy.