Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

      
The Iron Knight
(Iron Fey #4)
by Julie Kagawa
Summary from Goodreads:

"My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court.

And I am dead to her.

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl...

To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive,

With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side.

To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice."

Rating:

After reading the final installment of the Iron Fey series, I woke up with puffy eyes the next morning. Never had I read a book that made me cry as badly as Iron Knight did.

I feel that it is an incredibly fitting ending for this series. The Iron Knight dove into the deepest part of a story I have come to love so much.

When I first started reading through this book, I was shocked about the first part. I was beginning to feel my heart break with the idea that, given the current circumstances, Ash and Meghan might never be together anymore.

As I sunk deeper into reading, I felt so helpless. I didn’t know what to feel about Ash’s given situation. And there came a point where I was having second thoughts on the Ash-Meghan romance. Of course I wanted them together but could I let my hero sacrifice that much?

Nevertheless, even with everything that happened, I was thankful for the ending. This I believe was Ash’s greatest and hardest fight ever.

I really loved the surprises Julie Kagawa has thrown into this book. I love the adventure and the complexity of the Iron Knight. But what I loved most about this book was how it gave readers a whole new perception on the Winter Prince’s heart and mind. I thought I knew more of Ash in the Iron Queen but turns out I didn’t have a clue on who he really was before he met Meghan.

Also, Iron Knight reminds me of the song “Warrior is a Child” (I like the Gary Valenciano version of it), which always makes me teary eyed when I listen to.  Particularly the lyrics below:

“Lately I’ve been winning battles left and right
but even winners can get wounded in a fight…”

“But they don’t see inside of me
I’m hiding all the tears…”

It strongly reminds me of the Ash I came to know here in this book; strong and brave but also vulnerable. He may be Fae and a fictional character but possesses traits any typical person has, which pretty much makes him more likeable to Team Ash fans even for his flaws.

I extremely recommend YA fans to read this book and the entire series because if you haven’t, then you’re missing out on one of the best stories ever created.

….and now for a little surprise of my own.

I was supposed to post this along with this review but sadly I’m not done with it yet. So, without further adieu here’s a glimpse of the FAN ART I’m working on…



So, hopefully I'd be done with it in a few weeks. I really, really hope so!!!