Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spirit Fighter by Jerel Law [ARC REVIEW]

      
Spirit Fighter
by Jerel Law
Summary from Goodreads:

"Percy Jackson, move over Jonah Stone is here!

What if Nephilim-the children of angels and men-still walked the earth? And their very presence put the entire world in danger? In "Spirit Fighter," Jonah and Eliza Stone learn that their mother is a Nephilim and that they have special powers as quarter-angels. When their mom is kidnapped by fallen angels, they must use those powers to save her. Along the way, they discover that there is a very real and dangerous war going on between good and evil and that God has a big part for them to play in that war.

Parents today are looking for fiction that makes Christianity and the Bible exciting for their kids. This series is the Christian answer to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Kane Chronicles, The Secret Series" and other middle-grade series packed with adventure, action, and supernatural fights. "Son of Angels, Jonah Stone" will be the first series in the market to explore this topic from a biblical perspective with content that is appropriate and exciting for middle-grade readers."


Rating:

Never underestimate the power of prayer…

That’s one of the first things that pop into my head after reading the Spirit Fighter.

I rarely read middle grade books, but when I saw the cover of Spirit Fighter on Netgalley, I couldn’t help myself from requesting for a copy.  And after reading it, I felt touched. It may have not been a book I imagined myself reading, but I really appreciate the chance that I was able to do so.

I do admit that at my age (which is obviously not in the middle grade range), I didn’t quite connect with the characters and I felt that several times I encountered scenes that were quite repetitive. But I do understand why the author has done so and the message behind it.

If I were still in the middle grade age range, Spirit Fighter would be one of the books that I’d see my parents buying for me. It’s age appropriate, it’s fun and adventurous… and most of all, it teaches us about faith.

 It’s not everyday you get to encounter a book that takes the teachings of the Bible and gives it a twist that’ll make kids feel like they are watching a really cool movie. What kid wouldn’t think having superpowers is awesome?

This Christian-based novel is a book that I would recommend to parents looking for a way to enlighten their children’s minds about God and faith. It’s short yet entertaining and filled with valuable lessons.