Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Marked by Inara Scott [REVIEW]

       
The Marked
(Delcroix Academy #2)
by Inara Scott
Summary from Goodreads:

"In her second semester at a boarding school for teenagers with special powers, Dancia Lewis faces danger from both inside and outside of Delcroix Academy.

All of her life, Dancia Lewis has wanted to use her powers for good. And now that she’s learned the truth about Delcroix Academy—and herself—she may just get the chance. But being part of Delcroix’s top secret Program isn’t anything like Dancia expected. She has to ask herself: what happens to the Talented kids who refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Program? And why did her friend Jack run away rather than join? Dancia’s adorable boyfriend Cam insists they need the help of every Talented student to defend Delcroix from dangerous enemies outside their gates. But Dancia has to wonder: what if Delcroix’s most frightening enemies come from within?"

Rating:

Well, what do you know? This book actually turned out better than I thought. Yay!

I wasn’t really thrilled over the first book, the Candidates (or the Talents), from Inara Scott’s Delcroix Academy series. There really wasn’t anything new to the idea of the whole school for kids with special abilities. Yes, very X-Men-like, but the Marked turned this typical urban fantasy story to a whole other level. Not exactly as ground breaking as I want a book to be but this was better and more eventful than the first book.


I experienced a whole new perspective over the characters in this book, particularly Jack and Catherine. Jack, who was Dancia’s best friend (even though their moments as best friends in the Candidates wasn’t really elaborated, kind of feels unrealistic since I didn’t feel them really bond or anything other than what was narrated in the book), takes on becoming the bad boy that everyone thought he’d be. I can’t understand his motives though. There’s something missing, some details I think, I don’t know. Anyway, I’m a little bummed that he went on to the “dark side” (or just the opposing team, dark side might be too harsh, then again maybe not... whatever).

Now Catherine, on the other hand, is now my girl friend, best friend even. She may have been a little insufferable and annoying and kind of irrelevant during the first book but here I got to see the other side of her that’s a lot more interesting and I love her (Cathy, give me a hug! On second thought, never mind, I won’t be hearing the end of it).

Dancia, our protagonists, is the youngest amongst those within the Program. This means she has to work twice as hard to show she’s worth being a part of it. Now since she’s still struggling to control her power and the fact that some of students who are part of the Program don’t seem to trust her, Dancia is in turmoil of stress; poor girl. As much as I sympathize though, I still can’t get the whole “Cam and Dancia” fever. I just don’t buy it. Why don’t I buy it? Why don’t I feel all giddy and mushy (I always feel that way when I’m totally rooting for the couples) when I read about their short stolen moments? Why aren’t you two (Dancia and Cam) pulling this off?!

I didn’t exactly like how flat and vague the ending of the Candidates went about, but I’m glad the plot and execution of the Marked made the cliff-hanger from the first book worth enduring. I’m happy to see some action I’ve been waiting for to finally happen and a big “hooray!” to the whole Team Dancia versus Team...uh... wait, what’s his name? (O gosh, I forgot). Anyway, the Team Dancia versus Team Bad Guys (I’m sorry, I really can’t remember. Wow that was bad. I’m saying it’s a good part but I can’t remember the names of the characters...Awkward) scenes were great!

Now the last part of the book gave out this moment where someone from Delcroix is not the person he/she says he/she is, and our good guys (Dancia and company) are out to change things and make things right for all those of them who have “talents”, also to fulfil the purpose they were set out to do – protect human kind – the right way. So Book III, please be awesome.