Friday, July 20, 2012

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep [REVIEW]

Touch of Frost
(Mythos Academy #1)
by Jennifer Estep
Summary from Goodreads:

"My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy — a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why—especially since I should have been the one who died..."

Rating:

I wanted to kick myself badly for taking so long to pick up this book. How could I have possibly let myself miss out on how awesome reading this would be?!

When I first saw Touch of Frost’s cover, I was already intrigued. I said to myself that this was going to be an epic book just from the cover, then reading the synopsis only made me want it more. So I went on to putting it on my TBR. On I went to search for it at different bookstores. I wasn’t successful. I let it go and just went about to all the other books I wanted to read. But fate seemed to be on my side when I was on one of my random trips to the bookstore. By random I mean, I was at a mall and it just so happens – surprisingly, really – we pass by there’s a bookstore and I just had to go in. Well, that’s actually a lie. I knew there’d be a bookstore there to begin with. What? It’s not like I’m the only one who searches bookstore branches online. Pfft! Anyway, I was just mindlessly browsing the Young Adult shelves when I chanced upon a single copy of Touch of Frost in one of them. Score!

You should’ve seen the look on my boyfriend’s face when I squeaked (he said I shrieked, but I don’t believe him) and pulled the book off the shelf and held it real close (I may’ve been “lightly” jumped up and down on the spot, I’m not so sure). I believe his words were: “Hey! Calm down, people are staring”. That began his now usual comments as soon as I step into a bookstore, while rubbing my back a little before letting go of me: “Calm down”, “Shhhh! Do not shriek” and “Easy on the books”. I have no idea why he says it. *eagerly feigns being oblivious*.

Anyway, so I didn’t exactly jump into the book immediately after getting home. I still have a pile to read so I put it at the bottom of them. I just established a “first come, first read” basis rule that only worked for me until I got too tempted to read the other books that just came in recently...about a day after I set the rule, o well. When I finally got the chance to read it, I couldn’t believe I did the mistake of getting left out in all the fun with this series! Gwen Frost, I am so sorry!

I love the plot of this book; a school for Vikings, Spartans, Amazons and all that? You think Mythos Academy is just as what it’s called for... “Myths”. Or so Gwen Frost thinks until she sees one of the students lying dead in the school’s library and no one seems to care. Gwen goes to using her gift of pyschometry, an ability to see and feel every background and emotion on objects and people just by means of a touch, and tries to find out what happened and who is the murderer.  

In her quest of solving this mystery, she unintentionally becomes associated with Daphne Cruz, a Valkyrie who becomes the closest friend she ever had, and the hot and hunky Logan Quinn, a bad boy Spartan who became her knight-in-shining-armor when she stumbles upon all sorts of trouble, sometimes even trouble himself. And boy, have you got to meet Jasmine Ashton, the girl who was murdered. Wow, that bitch is all crazy!

It wasn’t hard to fall in love with the characters. They’re all interesting and wild and all sorts of entertainment. I love the funny and awkward moments that happened in this book. I love the action scenes and the mystery enveloped in it too. It was a blast!

Me want Kiss of Frost now, pweez! Okay, I’m sounding ridiculous. I just can’t wait to read the rest of this series. Although, I know, I do say that a lot [with other books], but I really do! This is gonna be legen – wait for it – Dary! Sorry couldn’t help myself. Toodles!